Sunday, August 17, 2008

First post vacay workout

This was my first Sunday workout. I just couldn't wait for Monday to come around, and it was great to meet the non 5pm class crossfitters. I got to meet fellow blogger Adrienne in person for the first time. Katie, I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to come over and say hi, I have to admit I'm a little shy/intimidated when I'm the new one in such a close-knit group. Met Stuart, we talked about our shoulder injuries, sounded like he might have torn his rotator cuff like I did in May. I hope I was able to impart some exercises/advice for him. Fyi, I haven't felt pain in my shoulder for about three weeks now, and last week I did my therapy exercises without a problem.

Now for the WOD, "the hinterlands"
3 rounds
800m run
50 squats
50 ab mat situps




I was very pleased with my performance, mostly because I was smart and changed the workout so as to not aggravate my hip. I subbed out the run with 50 kettlebell swings and when performing the squats I tried not to lower my body to the point where I pinch the tendon, although looking at this picture makes me think I might have gone lower than I should have. There were some other changes made given the fact that this was my first time back in two weeks.
So here is what I did:

in 28:23
50 kb swings
50 squats
50 situps
50 kb swings
50 squats
50 situps
50 kb swings
20 lunges (hip started to act up a little)
50 situps

I really tried to focus on my abs more and less on my hips for core strength, and I think I was successful at first, but near the end as fatigue set in I think I started to rely more on my hips than I should. This is something I really need to work on, but I now that I'm aware of it I can't wait to make progress in this area.

As I write this, my hip flexor feels like it's been used. Not necisarily pain, but I don't think it's a sensation I should be feeling. I'm concerned that I might have aggrevated it. I really don't care if I have to stop doing squats or something like that. I'm prepared to do whatever it takes to fix this condition, because this hip pain needs to stop. I just need to figure out what works and what doesn't. I don't know if there's a sub for squats since it is so integral to crossfit exercises, but even if I can't do any lower body exercises I will still come to crossfit. This could actually be a blessing, because my upper body/abs has always been significantly weaker than my legs.

2 comments:

Cara said...

Sorry I missed you on Sunday! I will meet you one of these days :-)

Katie said...

You are so fired... :P