Monday, March 1, 2010

OHS running and lateral burbees

Again we had a WOD that was a variation on the first exercise for the MAC hopper challenge. This time we did running instead of push ups. Because of the weather we haven't ran in a long time, but it felt good/bad to get back out there and run.

400m run
15 OHS (Elite @ 115), Lateral burbees
400m run
12 OHS and Lat Burbees
400m run
9 OHS and Lat Burbees

Did this in 16:something. Still wouldn't have made the 15 minute cut off, which is a little frustrating. However, I learned a lot about myself when it comes to OHS's. I didn't have a problem for the first set, but I had great difficulty with the second set. After the first rep I found it so difficult I thought about lowering the weight. Then I calmed down a bit, and told myself I could do it. I had to break it up two more times, but I did it. Then I learned what my problem was in the last round.

The difficult part for me isn't keeping core tension or leg strength, it's keeping active shoulder. Once I figured that out I was much more successful, and did the last 7 without problem.

I should've remembered that active shoulder should be the thing to focus on, since that is the first to go when I try my 1 rep max. Regardless, I shall store this into my memory bank and will remember for next time.

My lateral burbees were great at first, but then my form quickly degraded. I haven't been doing the push ups as frequently as I should, hopefully this week will be different. After this wod I tried to do the butterfly kip but it was an epic fail. In a perfect world, I will try to come into the gym in the morning to work on skill, and then do the wod in the afternoon. We'll see if I'm able to get this done, although I doubt it.

I have been doing a good job on rolling out that pebble of a knot in my shoulder. The sucker really doesn't want to give at all, but I will leave it no choice: either it quits or I will quit. And I ain't quitting.

No comments: