Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Clean one rep max

So Tuesday's wod was find our one rep max, and I loved it.

I learned something very important in the warm up. Mellisa mentioned that we should use the hook grip for the clean, and I thought we should only use the hook grip for the snatch. That's a little embarrassing considering that I attended the Oly cert.

Anywho, during the warm up, I had issues racking the weight, and this proved prophetic.

My goal was to break the 200# barrier, and I did so with ease, like ten minutes in. And it was a real power clean too, almost no squatting involved. It went up so easily I thought it would be ok to bump it up to 225.

That was a mistake.

I got the bar up to my shoulders, I just couldn't get the rack right. The bar kind of bounced off my shoulders/chest and fell to the ground. It was so close I went two more times, and had the same result.

I backed it down to 205, and missed that one as well. My speed strength was still there, so I went down to 195 and got it. However when I look at the video I notice that I pull early. I used to do that (it helped set off the tendonitis), so it looks like I'm just a little rusty. When I think about how effortless the clean used to be, how I had such hip extension Chriss joked he could feel it six feet away. I just need a little bit to get the rust off.

My shoulder felt it a little, think I might go see Dr. Bills and see if he can work on that pebble that is in my shoulder. That sucker is as hard as a rock, I can feel it popping out and around the pressure I apply.

I fully expect to get 225 next time, i've got the strength, I just need to incorporate the hook grip and get back to thinking of my arms as straps.

Very happy about this.

1 comment:

Sean said...

Nice work, bro! Updating the spreadsheet...