Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Another Fran, another PR

Learned this morning that the wod was Fran.

I was so nervous throughout the day. I kept thinking about it, how so many xfitters use Fran to judge others. I want to be taken seriously, and I feel like I need a sub 4 Fran to be truly impressive. I kept telling myself that I needed to view this as an opportunity to prove how much stronger I've gotten. But I really couldn't I just worried that I haven't gotten stronger, which is retarded. I mean, my hips are now much better, my rack is still shacky but improved. I was still worried about the pull ups, but not as much as those damn thrusters.

So it comes time to workout, and I'm still a bit nervous. I grab the bar and bang out the first 21 thrusters without dropping the bar, albeit I took frequent rests in the rack position. I planned for the pull ups to be done in three sets of seven, but that turned into four sets of 5-5-5-6. However, something started to click, and I could really start to feel pushing away from the bar to get a rhythm, and because I did such a great job making tape grips my hands didn't feel like the bar was ripping them apart.

The second set was done three sets of five thrusters, that really, really hurt.

The pull ups were done 5-5-5, not really a problem there.

As I went back to my barbell, I looked over at the clock, and it read something like 5:05. That was a mistake. I definitely had the thought, "wow, I'm doing so well I can take a bit of a rest." I was able to get my ass back into gear, but there was definitely a moment where I didn't feel that pressure to really push myself even harder. I did the last nine thrusters with a couple pauses to gulp down air. My core was really, really begging me to stop, but I've been getting better and better at telling it to shut up and do it's job.

I don't know if I got the last 9 pull ups in a row, but I do know that if I took a break it was like 2 seconds, a real hop down and hop back up.

When I was done the clock read 7:19. Last time I did Fran four months ago I made my goal to get a sub 7 Fran. Now I want a sub 4 Fran. At this rate, I'll be there next year.

Every time I have done Fran I have broken a record. This is a tradition I can get used to.

No comments: