Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Butterflies everywhere

Had a short and sweet wod, slowly re-introducing the run:


3 rounds

400m run

100' Overhead lunge

12 pull ups


I had a really, really hard time pushing myself through this one. Throughout the workout I had Jerry in the back of my mind telling me how I need to keep pushing myself, but I just didn't feel like I had anything in the tank. Again I was one of the last to finish, this really has got to stop.


I also feel the need to point out why I was going so slow: I was engaging my abs. I used to run with my abs relaxed, relying on my lower back and hip flexors to do the job. This time I made a concerted effort to keep them contracted the whole time. I also had a tendency to relax the abs and arch my back with the lunges. Again, I had to really fight to keep my core tight and the sensation of stretching my abs while keeping them tight was exhausting as well as really unfamiliar.


However, my treat after running an lunging was an opportunity to work on the butterfly kip. This time, I think something really started to click. I was able to get three-four in a row, and the second to last rep in each set really started to feel fluid. I'm surprised at how much I have to use my biceps, but I think that's because my form isn't perfect and I'm not utilising my hips as much as I can. I still need to find a rhythm, I think I'm going to fast so I hold my legs back a little too long, so when I kick back out I'm already at the bottom of the hang. Mellisa told me the cycle rate is a lot faster than what I'm used to, so I simply need to keep those legs moving. Will remember this for next time, but I really feel like I'm making gains on this. I'm still not getting my chest to the bar, but I'm getting closer and closer. ...On the very last rep I used the standard kip, and I easily brought my chest to the bar. Seems like working on the butterfly is also helping me with the regular kip.
There was an extra workout that involved double unders. I tried to do them, but I really couldn't get it together. Again, I couldn't find a rhythm. Now, I know I have rhythm, I'm not your average white guy who couldn't hold a beat with a bucket. I used to play the string bass, and if you're able to count out 15 meters of rest in Stravinsky's Firebird that's in 5/8 time you have to have a sense of rhythm. I just need to find the right beat to jump to, and hopefully that's all I need to do.

No comments: