Friday, January 9, 2009

I am starting to realize...

...how strong I am. I am beginning to see things that I once thought of as hard as easy, and what was once impossible is now doable. Today's workout was some strength, then met-con

Part 1)
Strict press
3 rounds
5 rep max

Part 2)
5 rounds
15 pullups
30 wallballs

I remember my 1 rep max being around 115, and that the drop-off from easy to impossible was really sudden. Did 105 easily, did 110 as a peice of cake, and then tried 120. I did three reps, and was done after that. I attempted 115 later, but that didn't work out either. ...I would like to take this time to brag about my form with strict press. I do a great job on keeping my abs, glutes, and quads tight, never pushing the bar away from me (almost grazing my nose as it goes up), and getting to active shoulder. When I lockout up top, the weight is so well supported I can hold it up there for quite a while. Anywho, enough ego inflating, back to the workout.

When I saw the pullups I thought about how many times I've posted on this blog about how easy pull-ups are for me. "Well," I thought to myself, "time to step it up a notch," and I put on a 10lb weight vest. I joked to Devin about how 10 lbs is like wearing a second tee-shirt, but in rounds 4 and 5 I had to break up the pull-ups 10-5 and 5-5-5. I had to break up the wallballs 10-10-10 pretty much from the get-go, not because of my quads, but my shoulders had a hard time heaving that 20lb ball up into the air. ...I don't know if the vest slowed me down in the wall balls as well, but all in all it took me 22:10. As I look back I wonder if I could have pushed myself more with the wallballs. It's been a while since I left a workout wondering if I didn't push myself enough, but in a way it feels good. I mean, I can take heart in that there are still areas to improve, and I will only get stronger from here.

No comments: