Friday, January 9, 2009

Burpee and pullup Ladders

Well, it has been about a week since my last cfot workout, and this one was pretty tough:

Pull-ups, burpees
1+1, 2+2, 3+3,...
AMRAP in 12 min
rest 3 min
go back down the ladder for time.

This was a great workout to reintroduce myself to crossfit. I was doing fine, and was shooting for 12 rounds, when people kept asking Chriss what the time was (no one could figure out how to work the big clock with Jerry gone) when he finally answered, "three minutes", that somehow really demotivated me. I was on round 5 or 6 when he said three minutes, and I couldn't help but think I could just coast towards my goal. I knew I couldn't but now there was this little voice in the back of my head telling me to slow down, and trying to ignore it threw my focus off.

I ended up doing 10 rounds, and did the ladder back down in... actually I have no idea, I can't remember. What I do remember is Chriss telling me to knock out the pullups in broken sets when I was down to round 3 or so, and my response was to simply do them without breaks. The pull-ups were the easy part, it's the burpees that really sapped me of my strength.

This was a good one, and I tried doing some abmat situps afterwards. Danny told me to try keeping my hands in front of me, instead of swinging my arms forward. I responded that I was just kipping, and since we do that in everything else in crossfit why not sit ups. He was like "I'll give you that" and talked about how they said to do it with the hands forward at his cert for the purpose of isolating the ab muscles. Ab mat situps do seem to be an anomoly in cf, since you purposefully disengage your hip flexors to isolate your abs, and cf gennerally looks down on isolation exercises (like bicep curls). Anyway, I'm now doing my abmat situps with my hands always held in front of me, and it does prove to be a better workout for the abs.

No comments: