Thursday, October 1, 2009

Strict Press 5 rep max

Got up to 113, but only got five reps of 115.

This felt great because the asymmetry of strength that I usually experience was not there. The asymmetry stemmed from the tendonitis in my shoulder. The muscles were already tight, so I couldn't tighten them any further. Now that the tendonitis is under control, I can push the muscle more. This is very exciting, as now I may be able to really improve in my upper body strength.

I used to have almost no upper body strength whatsoever, and def no shoulder strength. I then met a friend, Mike, who was a big meathead. Mike is a great guy, and he gave me a workout to try, and it included the strict press (something I had never done before). The workout was also novel to me because it was 5 sets of 5 reps (I usually did 3 sets of 10). I went from being able to do 45#s to 95#s pretty quickly (I was like 21), but that was as far as I could take it by myself.

I'm really, really hoping that someday I will be able to do a handstand push up.

So here are my current goals:

Get back to doing Muscle ups
Get 10 Double unders in a row
Get a Hand stand push up
Get really proficient at push ups.
Deadlift 400#s

Funny, only one of these goals is lower body.

No comments: