Thursday, October 8, 2009

Running like the wind, and finding a kip to the air squat.

A simple wod, but it's as tough as you make it to be.

5 rounds
400 m sprint
40 air squats

My time was 17:06, and I think I did a good job of constantly pushing myself through this workout. During my run I still can't figure out what to do to increase my leg speed. My lungs felt fine, I just could figure out how to move my legs fast enough to really feel like I'm sprinting.

I know the idea of not figuring out how to move my legs sounds retarded, but I'm still figuring out the POSE stride. I can feel myself lean forward, and I can really feel my hamstrings pull me forward as I run "downhill", but there seems to be a limit on how fast I can get my legs moving.

I've also figured out how to do a kip for air squats. Most people throw their hands up as they go down. This is done to help teach core tension and proper squat technique, but the movement isn't necessary (I think) to actually having a good squat. I think my squat is good enough that I can have my upper body work independently of my lower body, and I've found that if your move your arms bent and move them in a circle with your body, it's like a butterfly kip. Another way of looking at it is I try to incorporate the upper body movement that people use in a box jump to lift me up to the standing position. I started to figure this movement out last time we did Murph, and I have to say it really helps. Mentally, I think I'm holding two big scoops, and I need to scoop water out of a bucket in front of me. As I descend into the bottom of the squat, I dig deep into the water, and as I start to stand I have to thrust the water high into the air. This really does seem to minimize the use of my legs, and made this workout that much easier.

So much easier, in fact, that I feel like something is inherently wrong with it. I must talk to one of the coaches and see if this kip is legit or not.

No comments: