Monday, October 12, 2009

Columbus day, but no vacation

So I showed up and the wod was another challenging one:

4 sets
9 muscle ups
9 squat cleans (I did pro at 135)
400m run

did the first round with the mu sub, then where my hands are starting to heal they cracked open and started to bleed again. The pain was a huge distraction with my pull ups and the squat cleans. During the second round of squat cleans I couldn't hold onto the bar and basically ended up throwing the bar up and catching it in the rack position. Andrea saw me do this twice, and then told me to call it a day.

The dnf sucks, but I honestly couldn't focus out the pain in my hands, it's like there are seven knives stabbing me in the palms/fingers.

I attempted a MU a couple of times, and was no where near getting it. Looks like I'll need to start completely over, and will have to work on technique/progressions.

I am very excited about the hopper challenge this weekend, but am realy, really sad to hear it will start at 8:00 am. That is nowhere near what time I'm used to waking up (10:00), let alone up and have been on the road for an hour. If I want to be there at 7:30, then I'll have to leave at like 6:30, which in turn means I'll have to be up at like 5:45 to meet up at CFOT to then take off. Jesus, just getting there will be the greatest challenge for me. I was tempted to just stay up all night, but that's just asking for disaster. Looks like I'll have to try to get into a morning routine this week.

This bais towards morning people is a little annoying, but hey, maybe morning workout people are just better athletes. Of the nine CFOT competitors, I'm the only one who regularly works out in the PM, and I consider myself to be the weakest link on this team (except when it comes to rowing, I own that biatch).

2 comments:

Harold said...

Adam:

How are you treating your hands? I tore badly on that same WOD, but I'm basically back to normal. I didn't tape yesterday at all and felt fine.

I always cut back the skin right away, shave a bit as needed on a daily basis, and use a lot of vitamin E.

Adam said...

I applied vitamin E at the gym, and trimmed the skin with manicure siccors at home.

At first I tried to keep them moist and used mousturizor with vitamen E, but that didn't seem to be doing anything, so I took Crossfit Athen's advice and soaked my hands in salt water, although I probably chickened out and didn't do it for the full ten minutes as suggested.

The rips on my hands at the base of the fingers have healed pretty quickly. The sore spots are on my lifeline and the middle joint of my ring finger. Everytime I spread my hand open I feel the skin tearing a little, so perhaps that might be a factor in slowing down the healing?