Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Mid-Atlantic Hopper Challenge, Part III

So I'm done with the first two, and now it's one last workout, comprising of seven different exercises. After some discussion, this is what the last one turned out to be:

30 double unders (ugh)
7 back squat (135#)
30 GHDs
7 snatch (135#)
30 wall balls
7 push jerk (135#)
30 toes to bar

Well, I doubt I can do 30 double unders in 30 minutes, let alone 15 minutes, and my 1 rep snatch max is 120, so I doubt I could muster 7 reps of 135#. This meant I had to scale the workout. Scaling is difficult to admit because it means admitting that you're not capable of doing the workout as is. Scaling is also hard to admit to because in the competition the best scaled time can not be scored higher than an RX'd time.

However, I can't do double unders yet or snatch 135, so scale it is. This is what Crossfit, and especially crossfit competitions, is all about: exposing your weaknesses and showing how you suck. To be a great crossfitter you have to be great at EVERYTHING. Great runner, great olympic lifter, great rower, great with body weight exercises, etc. etc. etc. If there's one chink in your armor, crossfit will find it.

I, however, don't have a chink, I have all kinds of chinks. I have chunks. I was the only one at the hopper that coudln't do double unders (my feet still showed the lashing marks from the learning lesson three days earlier). Guess I will have to put in a lot more skill work into muscle ups and double unders.

Back to the workout. I did singles instead, and thank God my judges forgot that I had to do 120 singles because when I hit 30 they said I was cool to go to the squats. Squats were easy, the GHD's made me light-headed, the snatch was a piece of cake, and the Wall balls were hell. The wall balls were simply awful, requiring a lot of power from my body. The push jerk was easy (thank you DT), but I had a real tough time with the toes to bar.

I looked up at the clock, 14:50, with ten more toes to bar left. I gritted my teeth, tried to summon the energy, grabbed the bar, and tried to will my feet up to the bar. Everyone was cheering me on, trying to help me.

..As time expired, I was only 5 reps short. Chest heaving, I sat down on the nearest box jump, leaned back, and breathed/panted while waiting for life to re-enter my body. I felt that sense of shame start to creep back into my mind, but again, I felt like I gave it my all, I just wish "my all" was more. I guess the shame comes from the thought that I haven't been training hard enough, that my DNF of a scaled workout is the result of not zoning strict enough, or not pushing myself hard enough in the gym. It makes me question my commitment to crossfit. I try to stay as close the zone as possible, I measure everything out for every meal I eat. I try to attend CFOT as much as humanly possible, and have been consistent for quite some time now. Perhaps it is my mental game that's been keeping me back, I don't know. But I was definitely feeling some frustration.

As I was trying to recoup, Jerry came over and gave me a fist pound. I feel that I made him proud, and that motivates me to try to do better for the next competition.

2 comments:

Jerry Hill said...

Adam, you are stronger and fitter then last year. Progress is progress. Keep at it and imagine where you'll be next year!

Adam said...

Thanks Jerry, I've always been a little impatient when it comes to my own performances. Next year I will be proficient at double unders, muscle ups, and push ups. ...maybe even hand stand push ups!!