Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Another Fran, another PR

So today was Fran. Andrea advised that I make it my goal to never drop the bar for the thrusters to prevent excess energy being spent in cleaning the bar up unnecessarily. Her reason was sound, and for the first set I did it unbroken. Squats are still really, really tough for me in the thruster position. I attempted to keep my wrists straight to remove a movement (a discontinuity between the weight and my center of gravity), but it resulted in the sensation that the bar was too far forward.

Near the middle I jst went blank mentally, I had nothing in the brain tank to really drive myself, but during the third round I regained some composure and finished it up fairly quickly.

I managed to cut my time by almost a full minute, down to 8:23. Now I'm starting to feel like my goal of having a respectable Fran time (a sub 7 [EDIT] 5) is within my reach.

It's hard to believe that 15 months ago my Fran time was 19:43, a full 11:20 longer than today. I've only done Fran six times in my life, but every time resulted in a lower time.

This is a great feeling, and a great way to end the week before the Hopper challenge. I plan to later post about why I crossfit, and a look back at today in the context of watching friend's first encounter with Fran (Hint: they didn't like her).

2 comments:

MarkD said...

Go get 'em.

Terry (kettlebellguy.com) said...

Adam,

Great work on improving your Fran. Like you noted, you get better every time.

I know what you mean about the squatting on the thruster. That is a huge challenge for me.

Stay strong,

Terry