Friday, April 30, 2010

tweaked my neck/back

So I woke up Wednesday to some horrific neck pain. There were some huge knots in my back, right inside the shoulder blade. These knots were causing some extreme pain, like breathing in deeply made my neck feel like it was on fire. This was aweful, and a disappointement because I really wanted to attend CFAH's wod today (Cindy).

Hoped that just rest will help, but just in case I called and got a massage for Thursday.

Woke up on Thursday and it was almost worse. Got the massage, and it helped some. Also went to a sporting good store and got a softball to roll around on. Both seemed to help some, but in the evening things got very, very painful. Felt like I was an old man/person with whiplash. I couldn't move my neck at all without pain.

Woke up today and am pretty much pain free. Thankfully since this was acute it could also go away quickly. When I roll around on the softball I hear this sound, kind of like a crack or a pop. I think it's the sound of the muscles releasing, at least I hope it is. I think working out today would be a bit much, but I'm doing pushups and when I walk around I practice taking in big breaths and flexing my abs.

I feel like after all the progress I've made all this nonactivity is slowing me down and starting to set me back. However, there is life outside of crossfit, and there are other things in my life that are important to me.

3 comments:

Erin said...

Ouch Adam! Sorry to hear about the neck injury. Keep resting and recovering and using that softball. A nice heating pad also does wonders.

Adam said...

Thankfully it is feeling better. Yeah I tried out one of those therma heat pads, and it did help out a bit.

alan said...

Thanks for the tip on the softball. I've never heard of that one before. Definitely going to give it a try.