Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Hang clean, and an announcement

So my new apt finally has internet access, I'll try to be faithful to the blog again.

Walking in to the gym today hurt, my legs were fried from the Saturday's wod (lots of back squatting 205 with chains). Despite this, Jerry had a strength wod for us:

Hang clean x 1

the hang clean has been a tough one for me, mostly because it would strain my lower back muscles. However, this was because last time I hang cleaned I wasn't using my abs, it was all lower back. I was excited to try it out with using my abs.

My soreness was pretty bad, so I didn't really want to push myself. However, I got up to 195 and nailed it. Well, I say nailed it, but in fact my right hand slipped out so I just caught the bar with the rack position. It wasn't a problem, but it wasn't pretty. I have pictures, but I can't find the connector cable for the camera, so whenever I have them I'll post them.

Speaking of camera, today at the 12:30 class I got caught up in trying to help others out with their hang clean. I hit 195, but I never felt pressure/need to go up in weight until I fail. Possibly because of the soreness, I was more eager to help others out. Near the end of the class I realized I wasn't working out anymore, that I was coaching, so I did the met-con afterwards:

10 min AMRAP
9 KB swings (heavy!)
8 burbees

For today, heavy was 54#. I wanted a lighter weight so that I could work on keeping my abs tight and prevent my back from tightening up. I also used the knowledge of using light weight to motivate me to really push myself, I got up to 7.5 rounds, I think.

Burbees are becoming much more managable, I should start doing random sets of 20 pushups instead of 15.

I also have an anouncement to make: I'm now officially a coach here at CFOT. Right now I'm only shadowing Melissa on Monday nights, and I have to say I love it. Right now I'm at the point where I can tell what's wrong, but sometimes have difficulty relating it simply so that it is understood.

I'm not sure how I feel about blogging about my coaching expereince because it involves other people, and they might not want their experiences made public (even if I keep their identity private).

I would like to post some pictures of people's attempts with analysis, as well as make some more animated gifs (those are fun). However right now time is a bit tight for me, still figuring out the new digs as well as catching up on work.

Regardless, expect to see more regular postings here.

1 comment:

Angie said...

Congrats on being a coach! That's an awesome accomplishment!