Sunday, February 13, 2011

Saturday: finding my groove

So our workout on Saturday involved doing AMRAP of deadlifts for three minutes twice. There were other elements to the workout but this is what I'd like to talk about for now. My back is still a little jacked up from a workout a month ago at the superfit competition, even bending over to pick up a pen off the ground evicts a groan as I forget to keep a tight core and bend my back.

However, I was feeling good, just with a large dose of caution. So I decided to do deadlifts, but with a light weight, 165#. I worked on touch and go, and today it clicked. I think I've always been hesitant to scrape the bar against my shins, but after wearing tall socks and taping my shins underneath, it was enough to make me focus on everything else. I was able to keep a straight back and just throw my hips back and let the bar drop and come back up. I really started to feel like it was working my legs. I felt great afterward too, my back wasn't feeling it at all (although my legs and abs did).

This was important for me because I've finally figured out where I need to be with the deadlift, as well as figure out proper form for touch and go. I'll just have to go with the infidel weight and keep looking at form. I've always focused on form, but I didn't realize I needed to reduce the weight by so much. The weight might have been "light" but believe me, my glutes have not been this sore in a long, long time.

On a note about the abs, I've been adding GHD's to my post-wod work, and I think it's really working now. I started out at 20, and am now up to 35. I plan to add 5 reps each day until I'm up to 50, maybe more, we'll see.

No comments: