Thursday, February 10, 2011

A Questioning of Faith

I'm not really happy with the title of this post, but I'm having trouble summing up my thoughts and feelings in just a few words. About a week ago I found a thread on the catalyst forums about the problems with Crossfit as a training program, and it's been very, very interesting. First off, one of the main problems pointed out is the programming and how rarely it is done with any purpose and doesn't improve one's strength. This really makes me appreciate Jerry's programming, with his use of the 5/3/1 periodization strength bias (if I'm understanding things correctly). Met-cons may be sexy, but working on strength is what produces a better athlete. There are many issues addressed in the thread and links to many other posts, and I'm not even done reading it yet, but here goes a summary of what the thread covers:
  • There's little oversight for crossfit. My office mate could pay $1k for a cert and then open up a box of his own. He knows jack sh!t about exercise and would probably teach very poor technique to people who wouldn't know better. This would lead to injuries and would hurt a lot of people, as well as hurt the brand image of Crossfit.
  • The acceptance of degradation of technique of complex lifts like the snatch for the sake of finishing WODs faster will lead to injuries as well.
  • Kipping pull ups, SDHPs and American kettlebell swings are easy to do incorrectly and if done incorrectly they will cause severe shoulder injuries (SLAP tear, impingement, etc)
  • Crossfit Headquarters is so close-minded they reject peer review and burn bridges with experts outside Crossfit (like Robb Wolfe and I think Riptoe), this makes it seem like Crossfit is snake oil
  • Crossfit Endurance is not going to get someone to a 12-15min 5k
  • The people who perform the best with Crossfit came in with an already strong base, no one's come in as a weakling, done crossfit, and become some one who can deadlift 500+ pounds, clean 350+ pounds, snatch 300+ pounds, and can run a 15min 5k
  • Typical crossfit programming will not improve one's VO2Max
Now let me be clear, I don't necessarily agree with all that is being said on that thread, but I feel like it is something that should be looked at. For me it makes me appreciate Jerry Hill and his knowledge base even more. There's more that I would like to post but I've got to get going.

No comments: