Thursday, May 20, 2010

Tabata this and proper squatting.

So we did tabata this:

20 sec of X
10 sec of rest
repeat 8xs
The movements were:
push ups
squats
sit ups
row
pull ups

My score was 44, and I was super surprised how hard push ups were. I was hoping for 12, but near the end it went down to something like 6 or 8.

When I was doing the squats I really worked on getting my hips to really pop up so that my feet left the ground. When I launched myself upwards, I was thinking of the movement like jumping off of a box jump that's an option to show full hip extension has been achieved. In my mind, this meant I could keep my shoulders hunched forward and leaned my torso slightly forward. After all, if my hips are coming fully forward so that my feet leave the ground, I've achieved full hip extension, right?

Well, not so much.

Turns out that with squats you actually have to stand all the way up, meaning you can't lean forward at all or keep your shoulders hunched forward.

I learned this the hard way. As I was doing squats, Elise told me that I wasn't reaching full hip extension. I told her I was. She told me I wasn't. This back and forth went on for a little bit, all while I was experiencing the pain that only multiple air squats can bring. Finally the "conversation" just kind of stopped and I continued on squatting.

After the squats were over, and I was trying to remember my score. She came over and explained that one has to stand up fully in air squats. Shoulders have to be directly above the hips, spine straight.

This in itself was a bit humbling, but I learned later that not only was I squatting incorrectly, some new person had asked if it was ok to do squats like I was doing. They figured that since I'm a coach, I'm doing it correctly. This kind of brings the idea home that now I have the label "coach" people will look to me for guidance, even if I'm not coaching at that moment.

I've always been a stickler for correct movement, but now there's a bit of extra pressure to perform well. I can't say I don't welcome it, it provides a bit of motivation that I've been lacking otherwise. But it does remind me that some people view me differently. I still see myself as athlete Adam. It's like being 30, but you still see yourself as 25, you don't think much has changed, but something has changed.

I also wonder about working out in the pm classes now that I'm also coaching in the pm. I feel like working out with people you coach blurs a line that shouldn't be blurred, but then again I'm still not an assistant coach or anything.

On a different note, I have been trying to save for a level I cert now, but it's been tough. However, I think I should have the money for one in a couple of months.

No comments: