Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Slacker

...Not when it comes to actually doing crossfit, but with work and coaching it's been easy to let blogging take a back seat to everything else. For that I apologize, and will try to do better.

I won't try to post make-up posts from last week, but suffice it to say that I feel like I am doing much, much better with met cons, as well as keeping my core tight.

Due to a trip to Dallas, I again had three days off from crossfit, but I did get to see (literally, drive by) Crossfit Dallas Central, who's suppose to be a great place. Unfortunately family commitments prevented me from doing anything, but it's nice to know where it it, like right next to my undergrad campus SMU.

Monday was a metcon, and I felt great about it:

3rft
15 hang cleans (135)
15 rind dips
400m run

I have to say I felt pretty good going in since I'm pretty strong with the hang clean, and 135 is 60# less my max. For the first round I did the cleans unbroken, and I handled the dips ok. The run was ok, kept up a pretty good clip. Did the first round in something like 4:15, but it went down from there, did it in something like 17:29. The dips/run were definitely what slowed me down, but not as badly as they used to. Progress is progress, and I'll take it with a smile. The hang cleans were done well, because my back wasn't tight afterwards. Used to be, after doing something like D.T. my back would really tighten up on me. That was because my abs weren't doing anything, so my back had to do all the work. Now that the abs are starting to carry their weight, the back is ok. Did I mention progress is great?

Today's wod was front squat with double the chains. Here I was the strongest one in the group I was working out with, so it made me a bit timid. I need to start realizing how strong I am, and it's ok to lift 50#s more than everyone else, and that I'm able to do that as well.

I got up to 205# with 80#s of chains, and to be honest it was pretty damn easy. I would've gone heavier but time ran out.

We followed up with a met-con with double unders, and I am starting to be a lot more consistent with getting say 7-10 at a time. I really need to up this, but I'm not sure how to other than practice, practice, practice.

I am trying to figure out how to blog about coaching without writing about individual circumstances. I don't want to post anything that could put the spotlight on someone who doesn't want it, nor do I want people thinking, "is he going to blog about this" while I'm trying to help them.

However, I will say that I've gotten a lot of positive feedback from others, and Melissa told me she thought of me as a great coach. That made my day.

No comments: