Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Saturday Wod. No, really! I attended a Saturday WOD!

Woke up after 5 hours of sleep, was a bit dehydrated and didn't have time to eat. However, I knew that even with all those things making me not want to work out, I'd still feel better going.

So go I did.

Not feeling particularly energetic, I decided to do the strength WOD instead of the metcon:

Push press
1x 1x 1x 1x

I managed to beat my old PR of 165 by push pressing out 170. On that attempt (and the previous rep where I hit 165) I had a bit of an epiphany. With a heavy push press, there's a moment where the bar stops traveling upwards from the hip thrust and you have to start pressing it out with your shoulders. On the 165 and 170 rep, when that transition occurred I thought 'Oh God this is too heavy for me'. However, I was patient, didn't give up, and ended up pressing the weight out. I learned that my body was stronger than what I remembered, and I trust it a little bit more now to handle heavy weight. Pretty much everyone else was done, but I decided to go for 175. I tried it, but I was just too tired to do it.

I think one thing that really helped me was goal setting, I knew what my previous PR was, and so I figured out what I needed to ramp up and break it.

Afterwards we did the workout "tailpipe". Thankfully I had LTC Dan as my partner, because he is a very fast rower. Tailpipe:

Three rounds of:
One person holds 2 53# kbs while the other rows 250 meters, then switch

We did it in sub 6 minutes, I know my row times were 42, 48, and 52 seconds. Holding the KBS was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. I really had to go find my happy place. You're supposed to stand up straight and hold your head up high. I did no such thing, slouching and lowering my chin as much as possible. However, I never dropped the weight, and I'm proud about that.

No comments: