Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Helen workout on Friday

Sorry to post wod's out of order, but I thought Friday's Helen was post-worthy. So we did Helen:

3 rounds
400m run
21 KB swings at 54#
12 Pull ups

I've had issues with running. It seems I have two gears: fast and slow. I can't really figure out a nice, medium pace. When Harold shouted "3-2-1 go" I started out in the rear of the pack. After a few steps I decided to see how fast I really could run, so I ran as fast as I could, a real sprint. It was fun zooming in between people and passing everyone, even the amazing Russ. I have no idea what time I ran that 400 in, but all I knew was 1) I was the first one to finish and 2) I had absolutely nothing left. Even though I did the KB swings unbroken, and did the pull ups in 3 sets of four, I was the LAST person to start the second round. It really wasn't too pretty, and I was kind of laughing at myself for so totally not gaming the workout. I did try to do some of the Pull ups with the butterfly kip, and a few times I really started to feel like I was getting it, albeit I was a little rusty.

On the second round Harold pointed out that I wasn't getting the KB high enough. Instead of getting it overhead it was somewhere at a 45-60 degree angle. I fixed that right away, it didn't seem any more difficult, but it did feel like it took a lot longer to complete one swing. Ah the difficulties of being so tall.

Anyways my time was something like 13:39. I'm glad that I didn't just resign myself to jogging the 400m, but damn, I need to find a pace that leaves something left for later.

2 comments:

Angie said...

That's almost my exact time on Helen from last week. I feel your pain on the running. Only I just have the one gear: slow.

MarkD said...

Danny calls that "blowing your wad out of the gate"

I have done it and it feels horrible. I bet it is funny to watch. The second you see a runner sprinting in the door, you know they are in for a world of hurt.

You may be 10 or even 20 seconds faster outside than a steady jog/run pace - but you will give it back twice over inside.