Wednesday, June 13, 2012

My shoulder is the new Hip.


So when I saw Dr. Hauser for my shoulder pain he immediately thought the problem was with my C6-C7.  I thought he was crazy because I was certain that the issue was with my RC muscles, specifically the infraspinatus.  What would my spine have to do with my shoulder/neck pain??  Well, I’ve come to realize that he may be right in his diagnosis.  Sometimes when I wake up, maybe up to half the time, my left pinky and ring finger are numb.  It goes away on its own so I’ve never thought much about it, but I’ve realized that it could be connected to my shoulder/back/neck discomfort.

The symptoms of the numb pinky points to something impinging the C8 nerve.  This is the nerve between the C6 and T1, it’s just about where I constantly feel discomfort now.  I’m not sure what to do about this, but I figure I could see an orthopod for this, with my insurance it’s only $30.  I plan on making an appointment soon. The plan is to get a diagnosis and see what possible ways this can be fixed.  Dr. Hauser does seem to be able to help, but I want a name to this thing and see if there are other, cheaper options. 

Speaking of cheap ways to heal myself, since I’ve started hanging on a bar multiple of times a day, I have had days where I am basically symptom free *pumps fist*.  I saw Bobby on Monday and he was very impressed with how normal my pec and shoulder muscles felt.  Normally they are tight like I have a shoulder injury that they are trying to protect, but that doesn’t seem to be the case right now.  As opposed to taking maybe 30 minutes to release, my pec released in under five minutes.  I’d say that’s a win in my book.

I no longer have the pain and discomfort in my neck like around where the scalenes are, but I still have lingering discomfort lower, like between my shoulder blades.  I try to target the areas with a lacrosse ball and am somewhat successful. However, I have cracked my neck/back a couple of times doing this.  I’m worried that I am undoing what Dr. Hauser has done, so I am trying to stay away from it.  I’m not cracking my neck like I used to (where I would torque my neck with my hand), it’s just that when I apply pressure to my back, right between my left shoulder blade and my spine, I just naturally want to stretch out my neck muscles by lowering my right ear to my right shoulder.  And the result is a little click.  Not like the crunch I used to experience.  Still, I feel like I’m starting down a slippery slope going back to the way I used to be, and I don’t want that.

I am planning on seeing the Chiropractor this Friday to see what she finds, to see if she can help with my C6-C7.  I know almost every time I go to see her they are out of whack, but perhaps with this new info she can find out if something else is going on.  So much to figure out, so little time.

I’m so, so happy that I seem to have my hip licked, but now that it’s no longer hogging all the attention I’m starting to realize how much pain/discomfort I’ve been in thanks to my shoulder.  I’ve been addressing each issue as it presents itself, starting at tendinits to tight scalenes to something being wrong with in the C6-T1 region.  Hopefully I will get this figured out quickly, unlike my hip.

No comments: