Thursday, May 17, 2012

Done with Prolo, at least for now.

So this past week has had its ups and downs.  When I felt my hip go clunk I really had worried that I had taken a step back.  But the thing is, the pain has not worsened.  I met with Dr. Hauser yesterday and we talked and after he felt my labrum his opinion was I could use another treatment, but because I was so close to pain free he had no problem holding off until a later time.  For the past two months I’ve had Bobby completely ignore my hip and focus on my neck (which I’ll get to in a minute) instead.  But when he was working on my hip in conjunction with the prolo, I got down to very little pain very quickly.   …I wonder if having Bobby switch over to the shoulder/neck was a mistake.  Regardless, I’m going to see Bobby Saturday and will have him work on the hip.  I want to see how the hip feels after having it worked over at least once.

I hope that I’m done with treating my hip, that everything is fine.  But I am mentally prepared for the idea that I may need to see Dr. Hauser again.

In the meantime, I’m excited about rehab.  I’m going to gradually increase the range of motion of the exercises, and am currently working with the Caring Medical staff to figure out when I can start doing exercises that involve quickness/power/explosiveness.  For the longest time I’ve missed running and rowing and other endurance type exercises.  I also hope to be able to do squats again soon.  Hopefully I will be able to include those exercises again real soon.  Then the next step on my wish list is to be able to return to Olympic Lifting.  Then, someday, I would like to be able to do WODs again.  A man can dream, can’t he?

Concerning the neck/shoulder area.  Yesterday, I did not feel the need to do anything to my neck.  It felt perfectly normal.  For the first time I never had the need to foam roll anything.  It was amazing.  I figured since I felt perfectly fine, why ruin it with 60 injections in the neck?  Again, if what I have received so far proves to not be enough, then I’ll get another treatment.  The nice thing is that there is no harm in not getting a treatment right now, the condition won’t get worse if I leave it alone, it’ll just stay the same.

I’m always hesitant to declare victory over my hip, but I feel like this is the beginning of a new chapter of my journey towards healing.

No comments: