Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Handstands and pull ups

I've noticed Jerry likes to couple handstands with pull ups, and this was such a day:

7 rounds
hold handstand for as long as you can
do XX pullups

I held each handstand around a minute, although my wrists were always the first to give out on me. I tried to work on my free standing handstand, trying to keep as rigid as possible. I was having difficulty keeping the core tight. I kept piking a little from not being able to keep my quads and abs tight. I think I'm getting closer to a free handstand though, a couple of times I think I had it, freaked out, and then collapsed.

The pull ups were a great chance to work on the butterfly kip, and I think it really is starting to come together. I'm still not getting chest to the bar, but there's always something to strive for.

Coming back to Xfit from what feels like 2 weeks off really feels strange. The athlete in me is soooo glad to be back it's not even funny, but the coach in me feels aweful for being gone so long. I'm starting to feel the responsibility of what it means to be a coach. I still don't think of myself as a coach really. I mean, I'm just a guy like everyone else.

But I am a coach now, and people look to me for guidance. I really, really love coaching, so if I want to do more of this, to make it a higher priority, I need to do a few things.

First, I need to get certified. Funny that I haven't been certified yet, but only recently did I start to feel ready for certification. Now I need to figure out a way to find $1k for the class, and I think after some figuring things out on mint.com, I think will be able to do this.

Second is to figure out a schedule where I will be able to coach more classes. It's hard to figure this part out since I'm working 56 hours a week now, but I will figure out a way.

No comments: