Monday, January 7, 2013

Good news on the shoulder front.


Well, after the last prolo session my shoulder has gotten way, way better.  I saw Bobby and asked him to check out my rhomboid or lavater, and it was my rhomboid that was super, super tight.  He worked on it for a bit but after going nowhere fast he decided to release my tricep first, then did the rhomboid.  The rhomboid released almost too easily. So it seems like my tricep and rhomboid were playing tug of war, with perhaps mymedius scalene joining in on the fun too.  But wow after that almost everything felt normal.

Saw the Chiropractor as well, and for the first time ever, in the 1.5 years I’ve been going to her, my C6-C7 joints were not out of alignment.  This is pretty awesome, I think we made huge strides in the last prolo treatment.

Although everything feels much better, it’s not yet 100% and I have another appointment with Dr. Hauser tomorrow.  I will only have him work on my shoulder, and this, I think, will also be my last visit concerning this matter.  Feels really, really, good to be done with this.

First it all started with tendonitis in the shoulder, then it progressed to working on the scalenes because it was causing referral pain in my back, I retaught myself how to sleep, switching from ALWAYS sleeping on my side to sleeping on my back, and then I learned that I'm tricep dominant, and that was messing up my neck, and then after that I learned that just hanging from a bar would help me out, but every time I peeled back one layer of pain/discomfort it would only reveal a new, different one.  As I look back on various posts on my shoulder pain, I found this particular passage:
I really, really hope that I can find a cure for all of this pain I experience. Not a day goes by that my hip and shoulder ache or throb, and imagining living without pain just sounds like an idea that is so tempting I don't trust it. I catch myself getting excited at the idea that PRP could be the cure for all my ills, but I have to remind myself that there is a chance that it might not work, that I might have to deal with this pain a little while longer.

That was writtenOVER THREE YEARS AGO!!!! Wow I am one stubborn SOB, you think I would've thrown in the towel after all this, after all this pain and discomfort.  But for some reason I am determined to fix these issues, I don't feel like I should have to live in pain for the rest of my life, that I'm too young to start limiting my activities. Even though it seems like beneath every issue/injury is another one just waiting to reveal its ugly self, I figure it has to come to an end some time, right?

I've tried not to let these issues define me, I don't talk about them to anyone except for my wife, and even then I try to limit it.  But these issues have been what has been motivating me to keep updating my blog, there always seems to be a new breakthrough, a new angle I haven't thought about before.  Hell, I haven't even done a WOD in like 16 months, yet I still consider this a "crossfit" blog.  Blog-wise, injuries seem to be all I have, really.

Eventually, hopefully, I will run out of injuries to talk about.  And when that time comes, I'm afraid I'll stop updating this blog. But at least I will be happy and pain-free.  That's a really, really nice goal.

No comments: