Thursday, June 16, 2011

Identified issue with the shoulders

For a long, long time now I have experience a lot of pain in my shoulders, especially my left one. The left one has been very tricky, I tore my suprispinatus in my first week of crossfit, and after that I started working out while still having inflamation, which lead to chronic tendinitis. I then found out that some of the pain was a phantom pain coming from tight scalenes pinching on a nerve.

So then I worked on my scalenes, and it worked, up to a point. I would sleep on my side/shoulder, and boom it would go right back to the way it used to be: painful. I would do as much self-massage as possible, but it was still painful for most of the time.

Since I've moved to Chicagoland I've started seeing a new massage therapist, Bobby, who is fantastic. The man is not ok with leaving things half-assed, and when he had issues getting my scalenes on my left side releasing he thought to check out my rhomboids, which were fine, and then my triceps.

Bingo.

It took Bobby 2.5 hours to get all of my shoulder and arm muscles to release. Two and a half hours and the man never got a chance to work on anything other than my arms, pecs, and shoulders. Appearently, my triceps are all kinds of locked up and have been pulling my shoulder joint out of whack, and my neck muscles tightened up in response, thus causing the pain. This also might help explain why I have such issues with the pushup, if my triceps are locked up I can't push them very hard.

Almost seems like an episode of House, similar to my hip (which still hurts, damn psoas is still tight all the time). Bobby mentioned that to be tricep dominant is very rare, should've told him that seems to be the only way I do things. My arms felt like wet noodles afterwards. Because two weeks seems to be too long, I'm going to see Bobby next week, and hopefully my shoulders won't be back to the way they were before I saw Bobby today.

No comments: