Monday, June 13, 2011

Starting to see improvements in my lifting

So last week we found our 3 rep max in the deadlift, and I got up to 140kg! That's 308.6 pounds, which is by far more than than I've ever done with correct technique. I'm not sure if it's my core getting stronger, but I do know my technique is getting better.

I know my technique is getting better because although my squat has actually gotten weaker, I'm starting to get PRs in the Oly lifts and the deadlift. Since coming to Crossfit Rise I've been re-learning the double knee bend and it has allowed me to get a huge jump in my clean (from 205# back in december to 221# the other day) as well as improved my deadlift. True, I was able to DL 365#s twice back in '09, but that was with the worst technique ever.

I think it's been very benefitial for me to see a new approach to crossfit here in Chicagoland. There have been times were a trainer tells me to change my technique (straighten my knees more, etc.) and I want to snarl back, "back off I know what I'm doing", but I get ahold of myself and I recognize I still have lots to learn. So I take notes, do what I'm told, and lo and behold I am seeing results.

Sometimes I think it's a good thing to get a different approach on things. Honestly I think everyone should go to another gym for one or two months. I think that'd be a good thing for a local crossfit community to do. I recognize people don't switch gyms because it's a family and three are also contracts to consider, but what if a group of boxes decided to make an exchange program availible? For two months a member of one gym could go to another gym, and visa versa. I know it's never going to happen, but I think it would be pretty cool.

No comments: