Friday, June 24, 2011

feeling worn down, breakthroughs with technique, and having dreams

After seeing Bobby, I've been sleeping on my back every night so as to avoid effing up my shoulders and neck, yet I still find myself with tension and pain in those areas. Lately we've been doing a lot of dips, push ups, and overhead work. Perhaps I'm biting off more than I can press, and it's causing all kinds of problems with my shoulder. This Tuesday I took a day off, as well as today, and that is really uncharacteristic of me. I just feel, beat up. My hip is really starting to hurt, and my right knee is also starting to hurt. I just feel really tight, and all the foam rolling in the world doesn't seem to be doing much right now.

On a more positive note, I made a mental breakthrough with swimming. I've come to realize that I should be anchoring my hand into the water, and pulling myself around it. This is much like a rock climber pulling himself up. I think that really changed my technique of my arm placement, and I noticed an immediate improvement. This is good, as I'm still very, very inefficient in the water. ...I am so glad I am doing this, as I really think this zero impact work is helping me with my shoulder stregnth.

I'm also making improvements on Banded HSPUs. I'm now using only a step up from floss, so I'm very excited. I am trying so hard to keep a hollow body when I'm doing this, but so far it is still really a challenge. Keeping a hollow body is my greatest weakness, and I try to work on it with every single squat, pull up, push up, push press, anything. I'm doing 30-40 GHD situps a day now after every workout, all in the hope that I get better at keeping my core tight and improve the control over my body. I am trying to do HSPU's like Carl Paoli recommends, and they are tough as all get out. I guess I simply must keep doing them, I've already progressed fairly quickly from a super thick and short band to almost nothing, so I bet I'll be able to do a HSPU by the end of the year. *crosses fingers*

I'm also showing improvement with my Oly lifts. I am doing a better job of tightening up all of my back, and this is forcing my torso to rise up correctly on the first pull (aka my butt doesn't shoot up early). Having a time to work on these lifts every week without the crossfit intensity is great, working only on heavy triples at most is awesome, I love the focus on such a specific goal. If I ever move away from crossfit, I will probably end up as an Oly lifter.

I have a horrible physique for it, being tall and lanky, but it's not something I would do because I expect to hold records. It's something that I simply love doing. The lifts are so technically complicated that it keeps my kinesthetic awareness part of my brain entertained, if that makes sense. They are skills, and I can really appreciate that. ...I have a goal of snatching 90kg by the end of the year, and I feel at this rate I might actually get there.

I know I've talked before on this blog about my motivations for crossfitting, the main one being vanity. I wanted to look like a spartan, and when I learned they did crossfit then I figured that's what I would do as well. It's odd, when I think back and try to remember life goals I've had the only one I can remember is to have a great looking body. Not to be a fireman or President, but to have a six-pack. I know it sounds vain, and sometimes I wonder if I have something like an Adonis Complex, but I really don't think so. There are a couple reasons why I think this has always been a goal of mine, but I'll talk about that in a later post. My main point here is that we all have dreams, and we can't let concern of how they will be perceived get in the way of pursuing them. A dream is a dream, there's really not too much on what we can do about it. If you want something, go for it. I started out always finishing each wod last by a long shot, and if I had any concern with how others thought of me then I really never would have started this wonderful journey, and I never would be in the awesome, awesome place that I am right now.

No comments: