Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Labrum seems fine, pulled groin

Well, I can say with quite a bit of certainty that I have a pulled groin.  I saw Bobby again this Friday and when he worked on my pectineus and adductor magnus it was pretty painful, for the second time.  However, my psoas and everything else was pain free.  Also, the pain just feels… different, it feels like an injury to the muscle rather than the muscle is tight to protect the hip joint.  So I think I can now say that I’m done with PRP for my hip, and am glad I can close that chapter of my life. It has been a long time coming, let me tell you!

I guess I’ve just been making the pulled groin worse and worse over the months with Starting Strength, and now I feel pretty darn foolish.  I mean, I just figured the hip pain was related to my labrum as was something I could just ignore.  Instead, I was just making an injury worse and worse.  At least this groin pull should be a lot easier to handle than any issue with the labrum.  However, groin issues can linger.  I mean, I basically didn’t squat for a year, did rehab on the hip and then slowly introduced squatting again, and even then when I started adding weight it reared its ugly head again.  So it seems this injury will have to be dealt with patience. A lot of patience.

I saw an Orthopod and he prescribed physical therapy, so I have that if I want.  I also plan to see if he can write up a letter of medical necessity so I can have massages covered by my FSA account, that would be awesome.

From what I can tell, one reason why you pull a groin injury is weak abs.  That sounds about right, given my abs have always been weak and I still have a hard time getting  them tight while I squat. Weak abs, actually, are pretty much the culprit for all of my hip problems. Weak abs led me to anterior pelvic tilt, weak abs led to tight hip capsules, weak abs led to the tear in my labrum. And now they have led to a pulled groin.   I finally got the knack of engaging my abs while squatting near the end of SS, but I worry that by the time I return to squatting I will have forgotten everything. I think I’ll do some Pilates in addition to everything else when my groin is no longer an issue.

This is really annoying though.  I mean, I take my squat from 125 to 270, gain 20 pounds in 14  weeks, and all for what, just to have it all go away due to injury? I’m tempted to now just take this as an opportunity to go into a cutting phase, but I really don’t want to just yo-yo between 200 and 180. I will have to come up with a plan, a goal, and then figure out a way to get there.

No comments: