Monday, January 21, 2013

Neck/shoulder Update


My shoulder/neck have been really bothering me. Well, that’s not entirely true. There are days where I feel very little discomfort, if any at all. Yet there are days that are really uncomfortable.  I have thought about seeing a local massage therapist to help me out, because after Bobby released my medial scalene, tricep, and them rhomboid I felt amazingly normal.  However, after the prolotherapy treatment the rhomboid tightened back up.

I’ve tried to work on my rhomboid since then, using a tennis or lacrosse ball.  I’m able to get it to release a little bit, but there is a section of muscle that will just not budge.  It feels like I’m just rolling over a tendon or something solid like that, but when Bobby encountered the same area  he told me that it indeed is the rhomboid, it’s just insanely tight. After the PT takes care of the hip I’m going to have him check out this shoulder/neck issue, but in the meantime I’m tempted to try a local massage therapist and see if he will have any luck releasing these muscles.

I have talked to the PT guy about this issue, and he told me that although it is possible that the rhomboid/tricep/etc. is tightening up in response to some type of joint damage, it is also possible that it could be a neurological issue.  That doesn’t mean that there’s something wrong with my brain, just that maybe for some reason (he named a few but they were long names that I didn’t catch) my rhomboid is getting some signal that it needs be as tight as possible.

It’s funny, as the pain/discomfort with my hip diminishes, the pain with my shoulder/neck seems to increase.  Well, that’s not entirely true, I am feeling much better than when I was stricken with tendonitis, but it’s more like I notice what’s wrong with my neck now more because my hip is no longer yelling for attention. It’s like my brain can only take so much pain info, and my hip took precedent.  Now that the hip pain is going away, I’m now able to pay attention to what is wrong with my shoulder.

I have no idea how long it will take for my PT guy to take a look at my shoulder, but hopefully shortly after that happens I’ll be done with this issue once and for all.

No comments: