Monday, August 13, 2012

Hip and Shoulder Update

So I have yet to do something to make my hip catch/go clunk.  I would be happier about this except for the fact that I’m really not testing it out.  I haven’t really tried bringing my knee to my chest, that still scares the bejeezus out of me.  However, I do notice that I’m trying things out that I’m usually don’t do.  It’s all little things, like lifting my leg to rest my foot on the coffee table, or sitting Indian style on the floor.  The motions feel foreign (haven’t done them for like eight months), and there is some… pressure in the hip, but definitely nothing like pain or the catching sensation of the tear opening and closing.

I really, really, hope that I am done with prolotherapy.  So far I’ve had three PRP treatments, and before that I think I had five non-PRP treatments.  That’s about $5k right there.  Now that all comes from my flex speding account (FSA) so I saved like $1500 in taxes but still: that’s nothing to sneeze at.  If I do require more treatments, I am thinking I will have to wait until 2013, when my FSA resets.  Now that I’m living in Durham, Seeing Dr. Hauser will be a lot more complicated anyway, perhaps something to do after spending NYE in Chicago?

I am excited to start power lifting.  My personality definitely lends itself to Olympic Lifting (technique above anything else), but getting stronger in any capacity is always fun, right? I think Crossfit Durham will be offering its next class in about a month, so I have about four weeks to get a lay of the land, find a rhythm to get into, get my diet back on track.

Regarding the shoulder, I may have figured out something.  Nowadays my massage therapist is telling me that my troubled shoulder is looser than my pain-free shoulder.  If it is indeed looser, then where is this discomfort coming from?  I think it may come from me constantly messing with my shoulder.  Always stretching and foam rolling, I have noticed that if I just leave it alone for a while the discomfort seems to subside some.  I have decided to try going pretty much cold turkey: except for stretching I am going to try to leave my shoulder alone.  No more foam rolling the neck, collarbone, or the back.  It feels counterintuitive, but to be honest I’m willing to give anything a shot to see if it works.  Also, I haven’t cracked my neck or upper back in months, and that accomplishment feels great. 

No comments: