Saturday, August 25, 2012

An example of different prolotherapy styles

Not all prolotherapists are equal, experience is one key, but another is approach.  Here is an example of what the majority of prolo experiences are like:


Here the Dr is using fluoroscopy (basically continuous X-rays) to guide the needle into the hip and specifically the tear.  Very little solution is used, and he has to be very precise in delivering the solution to the tear.  I liken this to a sniper taking out a specific target.

Here is Dr. Hauser's method, the Hackett Hemwall method:


I should also note he had me flip over and worked on my backside as well. The man uses a lot of solution, no guidance, but covers the entire area so even if he misses with one he'll hit it with another. I liken this to carpet bombing.

Sniping sounds like a nice tactic, but your sniper has to be spot on, and even with the xray a miss is possible.  Also, and more importantly, you have to be dead sure that your target is the real target.  Maybe you will hit the tear, maybe your won't but what if there's some other issues as well that's causing the pain?  I know for damn sure I have no pain nerves in my labrum, so maybe other things are causing the pain, and so maybe other things need to be addressed.  If you carpet bomb that shit and make sure no one is left standing, you might not be sure what the problem was but you can be damned sure it was taken care of.

...My hip is really so much better then what it used to be, all thanks to Dr. Hauser.  He's not the first prolotherapist I've seen, but he damn well will be the last.

No comments: