Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Adam's Gym, Part three

Welcome again to one of this blog's running pieces, where I talk about what I would do if I had my own gym.  Today let's talk about something I think all gyms should have (especially globo gyms): competition.  I've attended my fair share of crossfit competitions, even participated in five of them, from three different gyms, and I see how it helps a gym and its community out.

I think I would like to try a competition that is super, super simple.  It won't be sexy, but I think it would be pretty awesome.  Crossfit likes to say that it's goal is to get you to squat 500 pounds and run a five minute mile, so why not put it to the test?  Once a year I would hold "Adam's squat and sprint".  Unlike most crossfit competitions that surprise you with what the workout is, you'll know way ahead of time what to train for.  Perhaps no one would want to participate, but I'd be fascinated to see how this turns out.

It would be pretty simple.  Morning you have three attempts to get your squat max, it would be like a powerlifting competition with the standards and judging. After lunch and a bit of a rest, we'd then have a mile race.  I guess we'd have it in heats, depending on how many people participate.  I'm not sure exactly how'd I implement it, but the winner would be the person who's average rank between the squat and the mile run is the highest.  Very simple, but very difficult to succeed at.

Anyway, I think it would be awesome to see how close people can come to squatting 500 pounds while running a 5:00 mile.

No comments: