Friday, March 9, 2012

Possibly last hip treatment, first shoulder injection

So I saw Dr. Hauser for hopefully my last hip treatment.  I’m hopeful that it will be my last treatment, but I’ve also been through too many “hooray I’ve fixed my hip” experiences to really celebrate until it is completely done with and I stop experiencing pain in my hip.

My recovery with each session is faster and faster.  However, for this last treatment Dr. Hauser decided to be real nice and inject me with 80cc of Sodium Morrhuate instead of the regular 60cc.  ….That is a lot of solution to get into your hip.  But even with the eighty injections my hip was feeling less locked up then it had the previous time.  It still hurt (the sodium Morrhuate tends to burn), but that’s what the vicodin is for. Day of I was still able to walk and go up and down stairs, albeit with a bit of a limp.  …On a side note I should mention that I try hard not to limp, because last time I limped the muscles in my leg patternized in such a way it caused a lot of discomfort, if not a touch of pain.

I asked about when I can get back to squatting, and the answer wasn’t exactly the best.  After allowing the three weeks for recovery, it looks like I’ll have to ease back into it a bit.  Starting with half squats and stuff like that, gradually getting more and more range of motion back.  I’m guessing I can do power cleans and maybe some other stuff, but I’m excited to get back to really working out.

I also asked him to check out my shoulder, and he disagreed with my self-diagnosis of supraspinatus laxity being the culprit.  Instead, because of the way that I crack my neck to feel relief of pressure, he believes that my issues stem from laxity in my neck.  Specifically, the ligaments/tendons that are connected to my C6 and C7.

He actually seemed hesitant to try prolo for this, suggesting I try the more conservative treatment of wearing a neck brace when I sleep.  Just by not cracking my neck, things should slowly go back to where they should be.  However, I’ve got money in my flex spending account that I need to spend and I’m all for healing the fastest way possible.  So I’m now doing a combination of prolo for the neck and sleeping with a neck brace on.  I feel a little silly wearing the thing, but I’ve worn it and I think it helps.

The hardest thing is that I can’t crack my neck.  It wants to go so badly, but it’s been two days and I’ve refrained so far.  Each time I want to I just foam roll the knots in my neck and the want lessens.  This is a tough one, but I want this to be over asap and that means no cracking.

Thankfully I can do pretty much everything with the neck injections.  As long as I keep good form, I can do pretty much anything, so once I’m back with the hip working at 100%, this won’t stop me.

Again, I really cannot believe that I should be done with hip treatments, and am on my way to healing my neck/shoulder.  Yet here I am, on the cusp of fixing both.  This year has been turning out to be a damn good year.

No comments: