Saturday, March 31, 2012

Report from fifth Prolotherapy Treatment

Ok, well sadly there was no surprise in yesterdays visit to the Dr.'s office.  He felt my hip while I brought my knee to my chest and back down, and when it went "clunk" he almost seemed startled and asked "Oh we aren't doing PRP for this?"

That makes me a little irritated because I was expecting to do PRP from the beginning.  Patients always want to go to the most aggressive treatment first, and I was no different.  When I first saw him back in December Doc said that we should try sodium muriate first, see how that goes, and then do PRP as a plan B.  And since the sodium muriate costs "only" $375 while the PRP costs about $650, I appreciate that.  Well I am now three months/five treatments into it, and it looks like we're still sticking with sodium muriate, but I'm a little irritated that he was surprised when he felt the tear.

Laberal tears tend to require between four to six treatments, and since I just had my fifth one I'm still in the normal range.  Doc just got my hopes up when he said that the fourth treatment should be my last.

I swear, my recovery from each treatment seems to get faster and faster.  I felt better the day of my fifth treatment than I did maybe four days after my first treatment.

Concerning my neck, Doc was a little disappointed when I told him that I had in fact manipulated my neck a couple times (probably 6-10 times total) over the three weeks.  I've gotten ridiculously better, I was doing it like 7-10 times a day, but he was still not happy that I did it at all.  He wanted that put on the record, so that if this treatment takes longer the record will show that I had a hand in slowing down the healing.

The dude gave me a ton of injections up and down my neck/shoulder.  I think with the neck it was just sugar water (the most conservative solution used).  Leaving the office, my neck felt a lot of the pressure from the solution, but I felt none of the pain/discomfort I am used to dealing with.  As I write this now, I completely normal on my shoulder/neck.

So it looks like I'm going to have to wait a little longer for the opportunity to get back into oly lifting/crossfit.  I'm starting to get a little annoyed by this, but there is nothing I can do but do isolation weightlifting and swimming.  ...More on that on a later post.

5 comments:

lindacheekmd said...

At least you are doing prolo and will heal what is wrong. If you had gone conventional, you wouldn't be healing. You'd be permanently disabled. I wish more people knew about prolo.
Linda Cheek MD

the reflecter said...

Hey Adam I have recently been diagnosed with fAI and I was wondering if alternative therapy can work without surgery . Looking for suggestions!!

Martha.

Adam said...

Martha,

For me massage therapy combined with mobility work (like Kstar's stuff) fixed the FAI. Another alternative treatment is prolotherapy. Dr. Hauser claims that he can fix impingements with prolo, and I tend to believe him: http://youtu.be/j99CxLus0gA

Joshua said...

Interesting. I've also had substantial number of prolotherapy treatments on my back, neck, shoulders, knee and other parts of my body as well, and have chronicled the treatments at http://prolotherapydiary.com. I encourage you to visit to learn more about prolotherapy injections from another patient’s perspective and I'd love to include your experiences as well..

Adam said...

interesting website you got there Josh, I'd be happy to put in my experiences.