Sunday, March 11, 2012

Hoping everything is going as it should

Kind of lacking if faith that my hip is almost completely healed.  I saw Bobby on Thursday, and he spend like 1.5 hours just on my right hip, working on the illium and psoas and whatnot.  From the injections (all eighty of them) my muscles were all kinds of inflamed, so it took a lot of work.  This is the first time that I've seen Bobby the week of a treatment, and I think it was less then optimal.  I think it would have been better to wait and let some of the inflammation die down on its own. [EDIT: I should point out that with prolo you have acute inflammation (aka, healing), which is a good thing, as opposed to chronic inflammation, which is a bad thing.]

However, the day of seeing him and the day after were amazing, no pain/discomfort whatsoever.  But after that, the swelling/inflammation started creeping back in, and now i'm feeling discomfort again (although no real pain, can just tell it's not normal).

Since the treatment my hip has clicked like 6 times, and each time I freak out that I've undone the treatment and my hip is never going to be completely healed and I'll always have to deal with thispainandOMGandwhhaaaaI'mfreakingoutman...  *Takes deep breath*  Ok, I know that despite all kinds of clicking after the first session, it did get better.  I also know that after each treatment I worry that it's not going to get better because I have the discomfort from the actual injection, but it always gets better.

I've just been jerked around so much I'll believe it once my hip actually stops clicking and I know for a fact the labrum is healed.

On another note, my neck is way, way better.  I've been sleeping in a neck brace, and the need to crack my neck all the time has lessened considerably.  Actually, today i didn't think about cracking my neck at all until writing this piece up.  But this issue of my neck, of tendon laxity, seems to be much easier for prolotherapy.  Other than practicing good posture and not cracking my neck, there's nothing I can't do, much different than treating the labrum.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Dr. Mary.  It seems that the non-force directional technique she employs works well with prolotherapy.  I know Dr. Hauser says I should not see a chiropractor, but when I asked him why he explained that the manipulation of the hip, the force that it takes to crack it, renders the joint less stable.  So if the chiropractor uses so little force that nothing cracks, my guess is the joint isn't adversely affected and will probably be even more stable since everything is in alignment.

...I realize I'm taking the risk of slowing down the healing process, but I honestly do not believe I'm wrong on this.  Now if only I could be this sure that my hip will no longer click in like three weeks....

3 comments:

Jodi W. said...

Adam, have you considered Cold Thermogenesis?http://jackkruse.com/cold-thermogenesis-6-the-ancient-pathway/
Worth reading, especially if you want to avoid surgery. Amazing results for chronic inflammation. I started last week.

Pamela Greshock said...

Adam..I'm VERY interesed to see if you are still pain free. My hip issues sound A LOT like yours and I AM not in a hurry to get surgery. I am currently doing PRP AND prolo on my hip AND my SI joint. (oh and shoulder, lol). My husband is really into crossfit (just opened a box). I am really wanting to start training....but I"ve taken almost 3 years to get this diagnosis (and two "sports hernia" surgeries THAT should NOT have happened!!)

ANyway, I'm excited to see that you belive like I do, to give the body a chance to fix itself..and it will.

Hope you can help!!
THanks~
Pam

Adam said...

Jodi, am looking into the cold thermogenesis, but for now I can't do anything that might reduce the acute inflammation that the prolo has started. That means no ice or NSAIDs, just heat.

Pam, glad that you seem to be on your way to completing your journey of healing. It's only been a couple of days since my last post but everything does seem to be getting better. It's only been a week out since the last treatment and Dr. Hauser says this stuff works for a little longer than two weeks. Feel free to email me and we can talk about all things hip and xfit: eighty_proof@msn.com