Friday, February 10, 2012

hip is getting better!

Met with Bobby yesterday, and he had some pretty awesome news
1.       The pectineus did not feel damaged.  It’s a stabilizer that is being made super tight, like the psoas was, to protect the hip joint.  I think I’ve always felt pain there, there have been occasions when I thought there was something wrong with a hip adductor.  I just didn’t really pay attention to it because my psoas was stealing the show being insanely tight.  Which leads me to my next point…
2.       My psoas was tight, but nothing like what it was three weeks ago.  When he worked on the muscle it didn’t put up a fight, it released fairly easily.  This is fantastic news, progress is being made!

I see Dr. Hauser this Monday for another treatment, and I have to say I’m super excited.  I never thought I’d look forward to having 60cc of sodium morrhuate injected into my hip through 60 injections at once, but that is the case.  The pain is temporary, which is way better then experiencing pain ALL THE TIME.

The next step is my shoulder.  I still have a lot of tightness in my scalenes that I work on constantly.  Bobby worked on them and there were a good ten or so knots in my neck that he had to work through.  On the ride home I felt more comfortable than I had in a long, long time.  My neck and tricep muscles are tightening up in order to protect my shoulder joint (specifically the Acromioclavicular joint, otherwise known as the AC joint).  I believe what is wrong with my shoulder joint is that rotator cuff injury I had four years ago when I just started crossfit, combined with sleeping on my side for years, which may have caused some weakness and laxity. 

How am I guessing this?  Back in June last year Bobby figured out that it was sleeping on my side that was causing all of my shoulder pain.  So I already know that sleeping on my side helped cause this situation and I have an injury to my supraspinatus.  Then I read this paragraph on Dr. Hauser’s website (excerpt from here):

The supraspinatus tendon often refers pain to the back of the shoulder. Sleeping on the shoulder causes a pinching of the rotator cuff muscles and can lead to rotator cuff weakness. There are cases where the cause of the rotator cuff tendon laxity was due to years of sleeping on the shoulder.

…This is exactly my situation, and Dr. Hauser seems to be once again promising a cure.  I told myself that I would wait until after prolotherapy proves to cure my hip to start working on my shoulder, but now that I’m seeing results I’m itching to end this shoulder pain as well.

No comments: