Saturday, December 24, 2011

First Prolotherapy session finished

Nervous as hell, I showed up to the doc's office at 8:45, 15 minutes ahead of time.  I had already taken my vicodin and xanax, and I was starting to feel a little woozy.  Still lucid, I filled out some sheets and then was taken to a room.  They had me gown up and applied a topical novacaine ointment to my hip/thigh area.  After waiting a while for the drugs to set in Dr. Hauser showed up.  I was handed two squeeze balls laid on my back, and he got to work.  I could feel some of the pricks of the needle, but just barely.  Then he had me lay on my side and started going at it from there.  I don't think the numbing agent had been applied there because I could definitely feel that more, but I just focus on something else, like those stress balls.

But then it was over.  It probably took like 2 minutes, max.  Apparently he gave me 60 injections, but I could have sworn it was like 15 at most.  My hip definitely felt some swelling, but it was discomfort and not pain.  They put a heat pack on me and let me just lay there for a while.  Eventually I got up and dressed.  I was pretty tired and I think the drugs were making me woozy, so shortly after Kristin started driving me home I passed out.  When we got home I laid down on the bed and then slept for six hours.

My hip definitely feels different, it feels swollen and like I'm stretching my glute or something.  There's not really any pain though, and the pain from the psoas being too tight doesn't seem to exist right now.  I don't know if it from the drugs or the swelling has allowed the muscle to relax.  I don't know.  All I know is that I now have to be very careful with what I do, to make sure I don't make my hip click.  If I do, I'm preventing my labrum from knitting together, and that is the last thing I want to do.  It will be tricky, all those little habits like crossing my legs will be tough to not do, but this is definitely worth it.

If I can beat all of this without surgery, I am going to be a very happy man.  The thing that I like most about this prolotherapy is that although I can't really exercise like squats or Pilates, I can walk around and be independent.  This is not like what I would experience if I had surgery, where I would be on crutches and my body would be recovering from the stress of putting my hip in traction.  Surgery really should be an option of last resort, and if this works I am going to be very, very, happy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi mate ive been diagnosed with fai cam and labral tear, I am considering prolotherapy, did it help?

Adam said...

yep, repaired all the damage to my hip and am now able to squat, lift, run, or whatever without pain. Prolotherapy is only as good as the prolotherapist. I saw one guy in Alexandria VA who was worthless, saw another in Chicago who was really good, and am currently seeing a guy in Austin for a torn labrum in my shoulder who is even better.

Adam said...

Here's a post I did about the two different styles I'm familiar with: http://youdontknowmefromadam.blogspot.com/2012/08/an-example-of-different-prolotherapy.html