Thursday, October 28, 2010

Working out with my Dad

Earlier weekend this month, I went to Dallas to visit family for my Dad's birthday. It just so happened that my highschool classmate, John Marshall, was celebrating his gym's move to a bigger space by hosting a free workout. So I decided to go, and I mentioned this to my dad. He decided to come along.

At first I was very hesitant. I know crossfit can be a bit of a, ah, unpleasant experience to those that aren't properly initiated to the movements and intensity, so I made sure his experience was enjoyable.

Because of the big crowd, John went with a group workout. For time:

As a group of four, do:
400m run
400 barbell thrusters
300 double unders
200 pull ups
100 burpees
400m run

We broke up the movements evenly among us, but I made dad do scaled back movements, like 10# dumbbell thrusters, single jump ropes, and after a few strict pull ups he did band assisted pull ups (later he went to band assisted jumping pull ups, very sneaky dad.) He only did a couple of burbees, with his back (herniated disc repaired) getting down on the ground wasn't that easy for him. We basically walked the last 400m, but as we rounded the last corner he decided to sprint. As we crossed the finish line, he then sat down on the curb and commented on regretting doing that, as his heart was racing. A moment of concern, but after a short bit everything was ok and we got up and walked back inside. This picture is of us shortly after that, I don't know why he looks taller than me, I've got a good inch on him at least.

I learned something about my dad, one is he's a competitor. When we were strategizing pre-workout Dad commented, "because i don't like losing." This seemed kind of strange to me since he's such a nice guy, and has always been so supportive of me no matter what my performance on the athletic field (that's a post for another time). But it made me realize something: this is the man who lead his college water polo team to a national championship, this is the man who graduated first in his class in receiving his Ph.D. in Physics at University of Pennsylvania. I could go on for a ridiculously long time, but suffice it to say the man doesn't lose, he doesn't know how to fail. One of the biggest reasons I've had the success I've had is me just trying to follow my Dad's example.

During a workout I always try to inspire myself, I try thinking about various things, usually around how each moment is precious and I should make the most of it. This produces spotty success, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Working out with Dad, however, was like nothing else I've experienced. It's hard to describe, but seeing some one you care so much about work out really is moving. At age seventy if my Dad can do 100 dumbbell thrusters, I better damn well be able to bang out 100 Barbell thrusters in no time flat.

I am so glad that my father wanted to live in my world for a little bit, to experience something that I love so much. Thank you Dad, it was an experience I'll never forget.

No comments: