Thursday, October 7, 2010

Calm before the virtuous storm

So in a couple of hours I'm going to have my first class as a coach. I have no idea how the turnout is going to be, I was having a hard time coming up the courage to advertise for it, which is stupid. I may be new, but I know this stuff, I've worked with Danny on some ramp up sessions and have led one or two.

I've tried to tell people about it, and I think I've had some success, and last minute I thought to try advertising it on the facebook. Waiting to see how it turns out is like asking a girl out. "What if she says no?" *shudders*. *Gasp, eyes wide open* "What if she says yes!" While I'd be ok with ten people, if like 25 people show up it could be a problem for me. I have experience talking in front of an audience. My favorite activity in law school was Moot Court and trial team, but this is somehow different. 25 may be a problem, but I think it will be less then that, and I'm fine with that. After all, this is the first class, not the last. I will have somewhere to grow, and I'd like to start small.

I've prepared as much as I could, now let's see how this goes. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of teaching this class. I'm a technique nazi, the very opposite of a stopwatch whore, and steeping members in good mechanics just sounds awesome to me.

The most exciting aspect about this class is the possibility of teaching stuff other than just movement. I might be able to teach nutrition, hand maintenance, mobility and recovery techniques (those I'm excited most about), and just the general tao of Crossfit. I just hope others find this as exciting as I do.

Wish me luck!

No comments: