Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Trying out Oly lifting

So it seems that I'm now in full on Oly lift mode. I've got my three workouts a week, and on off days I'm only really going to do stretching and mobility work, maybe do a light wod or two. ...It's odd not to workout 5 days a week, and I know I'm going to lose all that I've gained from lactic threshold training, but I'm hoping to see some real strength gains here, and that's more important than the other stuff in my mind, because after a week or so I'll be back into "crossfit" shape.

...I'm a little surprised at how much I feel like I need to defend myself in choosing to do something other than strict crossfit for two months. I guess because this is a crossfit blog is part of the reason, but to be honest I think it comes from knowing crossfitters who are extreme to the point of zealotry, and that doing anything other than crossfit is a mistake. What I do know, in my three years of doing this, is that strength is great for crossfit, and most crossfit programming will not take one to snatch 1.5 bodyweight, or clean and jerk 2 times body weight (especially if you started out really weak like me). Another reason, if I'm perfectly honest with myself, is that I'm a little bored with crossfit workouts, and I think this will help shake things up. For the first time in a while, I'm really excited about working out. This training program is all fresh and new to me, and a little scary as well.

I watch a vid of myself snatching something like 55kg three times the other day, and while knowing how difficult it is for me, the weight looks very unintimidating. There are those, especially in my weight class, who are working out with much, much heavier weight. It can be a bit of a downer knowing how weak I'm going to be when compared to the competition, but I really do try to focus on the fact that I'm doing this for me, not to win, but for me to try to work on the Oly lifts for two months and come out of it with a much stronger base both in the physical sense and in the knowledge sense.

I want to keep trying new things, and this Oly lift compeition feels right for me.

No comments: