Sunday, May 22, 2011

New Massage Therapist

So now that I'm in Chicago, I have to start all over and find new things. You know, new hairstylist, new gym, new doctor, new bar, and also a massage therapist. Olga has done some amazing things, so whoever I found had big shoes to feel. I asked around at crossfit Rise, and one of the trainers, Kathy, recommended Bobby at Northwest Massage Studio. He used to work for the Detroit Lions, and Kathy swears by him so I figured it was worth a shot.

I was a little hesitant because I've never gotten a massage from a dude, but I figured his strength might come in handy.

The man does fantastic work. I booked a 1.5 hour massage, and he ended up taking 2.45 hours, without charging more. He worked on my hip, and commented that what I presented was "interesting". He found things in the Psoas, and really worked on it. He worked on my shoulders, and told me I was "going to feel a lot of pain." It wasn't anything I couldn't manage. I commented that I had a high pain tolerance, to which he responded, "yeah I can tell, most people would be levitating off the table right now."

Things changed, however, when he got to my hamstrings. Namely, my left hamstring. He said that the entire muscle fiber was contracted, and he could tell this wasn't something new, that it's been that way for a while. When he was working on it, I felt pain that I really didn't think was possible. There were a few times where I almost caved and asked him to lessen, but I managed to bite the bullet and afterwards when I stood up I felt very, very different. My left hammy just felt.... different. I could feel it, I guess. I also didn't have any pain in my hip, which is awesome of course.

So perhaps this previously unnoticed tight hamstring was a culprit in my hip pain? I'm sure the imbalance was throwing my pelvis out of wack, so perhaps this is yet another step towards actually being able to just sit still and not experience any kind of pain whatsoever. I also get a little mad that this was missed by Olga, but she has helped me so much I can't get too upset.

There is one more treatment I am going to try soon, and that's acupuncture. I really, really hopes it works, because every now and then I get tired of this pain.

1 comment:

Houston massage said...

it is nice to read the experiences about body rejuvenation.

An expert massage always bring valuable testimonies from their clients. which helps people to choose
the best recommended centers.