Saturday, May 21, 2011

Found a Chicago Home

Apologies for the long drought in posting. A lot has been going on here and it's taking some time to find any sort of rhythm, so my blogging has fallen by the wayside. So after a short while I decided to go with Crossfit Rise. It was either that or Crossfit Arlington Heights (the third nearest one is 30 min away, and I'm not going to take an hour out of my day just to drive to and from a gym), but I liked Rise's facilities more, plus the Oly class is pretty awesome, not to mention they were offering membership for only $115 a month. Take that and the fact that it was the closest gym to where I live, and boom there ya go. Brian commented earlier that I should check out his garage gym, but by the time he had posted that I had already signed the contract with rise. I do plan to check it out though, he was the lacrosse coach of friend of the family, is of military background, and may be starting a Crossfit Barrington. Will see how that goes.

Crossfit is super new, started this April, so it should be interesting to see what happens. It's taking some adjustment to this new place, they do things differently than in CFOT, neither really better or worse, just different. Also, I'm trying very, very hard to be respectful and not try to volunteer any training techniques or tips. I don't want to step on any toes and I don't feel like it's my place to just walk in to a gym and be like "try this bla bla bla".

Today they made a workout with me in mind. I asked the owner to keep including HSPU's since I want to work on them, and lo and behold:

5 Rounds
9 Squat cleans (135#)
7 HSPU (I did them with the second thickest band)

Did it in 19:23, pretty happy about my performance, the squat cleans were easy, but I missed a couple of times with getting into position for the HSPU. Also, my core is so weak it's not even funny, I can't keep a hollow body to save my life when after like the first HSPU. Obv, something to work on.

No comments: