Friday, July 25, 2014

Why I couldn't deadlift much weight.

About three years ago my Oly coach noticed the musculature of my back and commented that it was indicative of using the middle of my back as the fulcrum, not the hips.  This is one reason why I can’t seem to deadlift more than 225 without my back hurting for the rest of the day.  I’ve tried, desperately, over the years to fix this. I’ve been working on core strength, making sure I keep a rigid spine when I lift, and yet things fall apart when the deadlifting starts to get heavy, no matter what.

As I’m getting my back fixed, it’s starting to become apparent as to why that’s the case.  Dr. Fullerton addressed my left QL, and now that it is starting to work properly it is taxing my spinal erectors even more, and they are not happy about it.  I think perhaps they are tight and painful because they are damaged, just like pretty much every other muscle in my back.  I am amazed at how many layers of damage my body has.  One muscle gets fixed, and that makes the others act up.

It’s also an interesting sensation because the pain is becoming more accurate.  As opposed to this blob of pain in my lower and upper back, I now feel my infraspinatus being tight and painful, as well as my spinal erectors.  I mean, I can’t even do more than 30# kettlebell straight-legged deadlifts without setting off my back right now, so deadlifting is out of the question.

Fortunately, I’m sprinting and that (if done properly) will work the hammies and glutes.  I’m also front squatting to work on my quads more and give my posterior chain a bit of a break from the sprinting. Speaking of squats, I can feel my QL/erectors wanting to give out on me when I near depth on the squat. I always could feel my core trying to unravel at that point, but now I have a more direct sensation as to what’s going on.  It’s like I’m seeing my body with a finer resolution.  Hopefully this will all go away with another treatment, and I’m praying that my infraspinatus is just damaged and it’s not the labrum tear that’s causing the infraspinatus to act up. Almost one more month until I can find out. Yay?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd bet a thousand dollars you are actually suffering from SIJD or Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction. It short your SI Joint is stuck outta alignment and your pelvis is twisted, causing everything connected to it like the hips and the spine all the way up to the head to compensated and twist causing all the muscle compensations for the twisted pelvis.
You might also have something going on with your ATLAS vertebrae (C1). See a real Atlas Orthoganal chiro for that.

For the SIJD go see Jerry Hesch in Henderson, Nevada its right outside Vegas. He is the very best in the country.

How do I know this because I was in the exact same boat as you with even worse injuries actually. I looked at your photos and its pretty easy to see your pelvis distortion, high left hip and shoulder, low right hip and shoulder. Looks like your stuck in a Left AIC pattern.

I was on the Peeling back the layers of the onion kick and never ending prolo and prp treatments, its literally never ending.

If your pelvis and sij is your body's foundation and primary fulcrum point, if your foundation is off nothing from your toes to your head will be right, everything will have to compensate.

You've traveled the country and spent a shitload trying to heal.

Go see the right people to tright the root issue and you'll get better. good luck

Adam said...

Hey Anon thanks for the input and I really appreciate the time you've taken to look through my blog. I'm still going to try to finish this thing with Dr. Fullerton, just because I keep seeing so much improvement after each treatment, but I am looking into Mr. Hesch and will see if this will be a good idea.

When I first started out and saw a DO he would regularly find my SI joint out of whack but the joint quickly learned where it was supposed to be and then started staying that way. FYIW feel like I should mention that.

You are not the first to comment on this blog about how I'm stuck in a left AIC pattern, and I hope that will be fixed soon. I've seen a rolfer and everything just snaps back to the way to the pattern after a short while. Not saying rolfing is the same as what Mr. Hesch does, I just want to explain why I'm hesitant to return to soft tissue manipulation right now.

I am hoping that the repairs to the structural damage to my muscles and ligaments will be the first step. I am planning on seeing a chiro or rolfer or whatever once my body is no longer damaged like it is.

It's funny you mention the C1, I have had issues with it in the past, and it's probably back to it's old ways. You have a good eye, color me impressed.

I guess my whole point here is that I think I'm going to see this PRP through because I'm seeing real results/improvements right now and I believe a lot of the compensating that is going on in my body right now is due to all the structural damage. This is why the PT guy that practiced PRI couldn't get my body to work correctly. After I get that fixed, then I plan to get everything moving correctly.

I recognize I may be wrong, I've been wrong plenty of times before, but I am seeing such good results right now I am not planning to stop with the PRP.

If I may be so bold, what were your injuries?

Again, thank you for the advice for reading my blog. I am looking into Mr. Hesch right now.

Adam