Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Excited for treatment of my hips.

Something I haven’t really talked about on this blog is my left hip. My right hip is the one that has gotten all the attention. It’s the one that had the torn labrum, it’s the one that seems to have some ligament damage. It’s the one that got PRP from Dr. Hauser. But it was my left hip that kept failing the ober’s test while passing the Thomas test, indicating the femur was hanging out in the front part of the hip socket (not a good thing).

Dr. Fullerton discovered a pit in the left hip capsule. He said it was in a very strange spot, in the front, right where the rectus femoris inserts into the capsule.  A hole right there would make sense. That would give the femur space to move out into the front of the socket.  As Dr. Fullerton has treated the pit, I’ve noticed a couple of things.  First, when I do lunges my left hamstring and glute feel much more… stretched and involved.  It definitely feels like the femur is sitting farther back in the hip.  Secondly, and this is exciting to me, when I squat I no longer have knee pain while doing it.  When I front squat I would always feel a little bit of pain in my knees when I hit depth. Now I no longer feel any pain in my left knee!!! It’s pretty amazing.

I would hazard a guess as to the source of knee pain in my right knee. I think because of the ligament damage in the hip my adductors are pretty tight, including the adductor, longus, magnus, and gracilis.  I can see these muscles pulling my kneecap in a little bit, altering the mechanics just enough that it puts some time of unpleasant force on my knee.  I’m willing to bet that once the ligament damage is fixed, the knee pain will go away as well.

The thought is very exciting, and to be honest I can’t wait for the end of August to arrive!

No comments: