Thursday, March 24, 2011

Definitely getting weaker.

We found our 5 rep back squat max the other day with Chains, and I only got up to 185#s about 20 pounds lighter than when I did this May last year. That's pretty sad. I don't know why I'm getting weaker, I'm eating clean food constantly plus two protein shakes a day, one in the morning and one right after the workout, not to mention I'm sleeping all the time as well as hydrating and massaging. It's a lot of work, and I guess I would expect better results. Some may argue it's the fact I'm doing crossfit, and crossfit will make you weaker after a certain point, but I don't think I've reached that point (it's more like crossfit won't get you to a 700# deadlift, while I'm still hovering around 300#).

I really doubt it's a matter of pushing myself, I know I've lifted heavier, but when I tell my body to push, it just doesn't seem to respond like it used to. I remember when I could do 10 reps of 600# on the leg press machine pre-crossfit, which makes me wonder what I can leg press now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If your getting weaker and trying to lean out and as you say everything else is good in your recovery then the only part left is your diet. You have to eat more and let your vanity get on the back burner and get strong

Adam said...

Yeah it seems to be a choice between performance and aesthetics. I do feel the need to point out that I am TRYING to eat more, logistically it's just getting to the point where I don't know if I can spend any more time preparing food. I mean, in addition to the two protein shakes, steak for breakfast, and the two meals I get from Catalyst I'm cooking up half a chicken every other day for goodness sake. But I get your point, it's all about where one's priorities lie.

blbowers said...

It has been a few months, have you noticed any changes? I'm having the same problem. I began Crossfit in February and my totals (squat, deadlift, and shoulder press) are all diminishing. Curious if you ever discovered a solution. Thanks, bro!

Adam said...

there could be a lot of reasons you're seeing strength losses, but for me personally I found that if I started lifting heavy every week that helps. And what I mean by lifting heavy is I found my 1 rep max, then did 5 sets of 3 reps of 70% of that on week one, then five reps of just a little heavier, and keep going for like a month it helps. Then after a month you have to change up the program a little, but you need periodization for the muscles to adapt and get stronger after a certain point.