Monday, January 6, 2014

First WOD in over 2 years???

Recently one of my friends here in Dallas started doing Crossfit.  He’s fixing to go to Vietnam to explore the largest known cave.  He’s a fairly skinny guy, one would call him a hard gainer.  Anyways, he’s getting caught up in the Crossfit world, and I think it’s pretty cool. I envy the excitement in his eyes when he starts talking about what they did in the WOD the other day.  That high of getting your first clean, etc. I can see his passion, and I am happy he’s getting hooked.  

Well I decided to join my friends (a mutual friend also joins in on the free class) in Crossfit 214’s free intro class that’s on every Saturday.  Usually it’s just bodyweight work, something noobs can’t really mess up and it’s easy for big classes. I really wasn’t looking forward to running or whatever, but I wanted to be social and relive the ol’ Crossfit glory days.  So I decide to go and this is the WOD:

Partner WOD
AMRAP 8 minutes
3 DB Clean
6 Push Press
9 Front Squat
+
3 burpees (done while partner goes)

I really couldn’t have asked for a better WOD. The movements were in my wheelhouse, short AMRAP and you have built in rest because it’s a partner WOD! I had even brought my Risto’s just in case!

I went with one of my friends and we hulked out with the 30# DBs. We managed to get in 11 rounds and 1 rep, and honestly I’m not sure how it would have been possible to get 12 rounds in since there was minimal resting while performing the lifts. It was fun, I’ll admit. And something that light probably didn’t hurt any of my gainz. Surprisingly I wasn’t really sore the day of or today. I was kind of winded at the end, but my conditioning definitely held out for 8 minutes. Oh and I am still ridiculously slow with burpees. I still try to throw myself down and up but during the warm up I was behind everyone by a good 1.5 burpee.

Speaking of gains, I’m currently sitting pretty at 224, pretty much the heaviest I’ve ever been.  My 11 year old niece has commented on my belly, but I really don’t mind because while my belly has grown some, so has all of my muscles.  I’m really hoping I can hold on to this muscle while getting my shoulder treated, I’m really hoping I can sprint and perhaps some other stuff (Maybe even bicep curls!?!?!?!???) to at least maintain. I am tired of getting stronger, only to have to reset everything because of an injury. In the fall semester last year I got up to 275 for five reps on Starting Strength (SS) with the low bar back squat, but then I had to stop squatting at all for about three months and then had to start all over, with front squatting 65 pounds and that being not too easy.  Now I’ve front squatted 225 five times with SS and have gone on to the 531 program. With 531 I’ve reached all kinds or PRs on the overhead press and bench, but I fear that I might have to give that up for a while, maybe as long as six months. I hope not, but even if I do I am content with that because the pain in my shoulder is driving me crazy. Absolute bonkers. I am ready to get better, and if that means a little hiccup with my training, so be it. 

Also got a chance to meet the instructor, who happens to have FAI in one of his hips joints.  We got to talk a bit, but I could tell the was thinking  going into the convo that he was going to be the one to give me advice, and I think he was a little dismissive of the advice I had to offer him.  I know it sounds crazy that FAI, the calcification of the bone, can go away on its own but at least with me that seems to be the case.  When the PT tested me for FAI of the right hip (the one that’s gotten all of the treatment) I tested negative for FAI, and with the left hip there was some minimal pinching with internal rotation. Hopefully that is either gone or will go away with some prolo. I am really interested to see what the ultrasounds will show.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Adam, I found ur posts on ur hip impingement. I have hip retroversion. I am from Dallas as well. will u contact me plz? Jonathan@crossfitalpha1athlete.com

Adam said...

email sent.