Saturday, October 20, 2012

Starting Strength working out alright

So I've been doing Starting Strength for six weeks now.  It has been a great way to reacclimate my body to weightlifting.  I've experienced my first stall, with the press.  From what I understand, I get two more attempts to be able to successfully hit my workout sets and then I scale it back to like 80% and start all over again. ...it's kind of sad that I can't do 5 reps of 105#, but it is what it is, and the only way to get stronger is to deal with it.

The hip has been dealing with the squats really well.  I can tell that I'm not 10% yet, my right hip adductors are still tight, still trying to protect the joint.  For that I plan on seeing Dr. Hauser again this December, now that we have a possible diagnosis of a tear dealing with the internal rotation.  This has been such a long process, I fear that it will never end.  But I'm still holding out hope that once my labrum is 100% my hip will feel even better then what it's feeling like now.

Eating has been interesting.  With that powerlifting training I'm starting to eat like a powerlifter.  I'm now trying to let my body recover by eating as much as possible in my 8 hour eating window.  Things that used to be off limits like gluten-free pie are now suddenly on the table.  I tried eating cereal after a workout but that still upsets my stomach.  Carbs are my friend.  The thing is, now that I'm trying to gain weight, I'm having problems.  Last time I weighed myself I was still clocking in at 180-182#s. That's not a whole lot for a 6'2" guy like me.  I find it puzzling, the idea that I'm not eating enough when I'm trying to get in 200g of protein in a day.  When I follow up a workout with over a pound of liver (100+ grams of protein) as well as pie and other stuff I feel like I should be seeing more results.

I'm thinking about starting to supplement with protein shakes.  It kind of goes against what I think, that if you need shakes you are taking the easy way out, but this stuff is getting expensive and difficult.

No comments: