Friday, October 11, 2013

Training update

Up until now I've been following the strength programming Starting Strength (SS) for the squat and deadlift, and the 531 powerlifting program for the overhead press and bench press.  I like the starting strength because it produces linear gains, my squat working sets have been going up 15 pounds a week.  When I was finally given the ok to squat by my PT back in Durham, I was doing 65#, and even that wasn't done very well (was quite rusty).  The other week I did work sets of 225# with the front squat. That's a 160# gain in a couple of months.

Thing is SS requires that I squat 3 times a week.  Now I'm not really complaining about that, I like squatting, and I don't mind squatting all the time.  But the thing is, trying to do SS with 531 takes a lot of time.  ...A LOT of time.  Like suddenly I'm spending 2 hours at the gym.  Perhaps there's some other way I can incorporate the two and still be in the gym under an hour, but I don't see it.  So I've decided to do 531 for every lift except for the deadlift, which I only do once a week under SS anyway.

It has freed up quite a bit of time at the gym, so now I've decided to do the big but boring challenge with the 531 program.  After you finish the strength part of the lifting you do 5 sets of 10 reps of lighter weight.  Well I decided to do with with dead lifting as well. So on Wednesday I decided to do 5 sets of 10 reps of 135#.  This definitely raised the heart rate, and definitely wore me out, like I was expecting.

What I was not expecting was to wake up the next day with stabbing pain in my back.  It's seriously painful.  I can tell it's my QL, but the weird thing is that it's on my right side.  In the past I've always has a hard time with my left QL, hell four years ago I thought it was a kidney infection.

Not too sure that this change is a good thing or a bad thing, but I believe change is good, no matter what. Perhaps I'm peeling one more layer of the onion of pain.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey adam i was a big time time into lifting as well as a natural bodybuilder. About 2 years ago on my 20th birthday I developed bad ligament laxity in ribs causing pain, cracking, etc. Havent lifted since.

Ive researched a lot into prolotherapy. So far Ive had 7 treatments of Prolozone which was absolute garbage and was like a bandaid that just broke.

Ive done 8 treatments of Prolotherapy as well. With about 40% reduction in pain and 60% reduction in cracking. But still cannot workout do due rib pain and muscles that now will not seem to fire because of nerve damage that I need to find out the pathology.

You've seem to have been to alot of different doctors. I am just wondering what techniques (hackethemwall carpet bombing, sniper to only the affected ligs, or sniper with ultra sound guided) Have you found worked best? As well as what solutions you've found most effective at what dosages (cc's)? Or just what you kinda learned?

A big part of prolo is the technique of the practitioner, solution used and quantity. I have called around and unfortunately with the Sodium morrhuate being on back order most doctors only use dextrose (which is crap and too weak) and PRP which ive had so-so results with.

There are other solutions available but most prolotherapists seem to not use them.

Unknown said...

Is there an email where I may PM you?

-Fabian

Adam said...

Shoot me an email at eighty_proof@msn.com

Adam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Adam said...

Hey thanks for reading my blog. Not exactly sure what your question is but I've only received prolo under the hemwall Hackett method, but I found this to work really well for me. ...what I think was key for me was to figure out the root cause for my pain.

Adam said...

...and I as I read your situation do you know what is causing the laxity? (Sorry for the two posts the web is working strangely for me right now.