Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Dry Needling Update and Shoulder Treatment Decision

Ok so I’ve been trying out dry needling, four times so far, and it seems pretty legit.  The process is a very strange sensation, and not at all comfortable, but it seems to work, so I’m all for it.  Each needle feels different, and the bigger the trigger point, the bigger the response. For example, yesterday when he addressed my sartorius (which makes a lot more sense than what I thought it was: my rectus femoris) it wasn’t really a big deal, didn’t really feel anything.  Then the PT worked on my adductor magnus and wow it was sensitive.  Each needle prick felt different. One time when he put the needle in it felt like I was hit by a Taser in four different places on the back of my hamstring. Another needle and it felt like a hot wire of pain up my leg.  Each one was different, and each one was significant.  Thankfully, the pain/discomfort is very brief.  He also worked on my tensor faciae lata, and that almost felt like nothing.

The Physical therapist really worked me over yesterday, and when I got up off the table I walked with a bit of a limp I was so sore. But I also felt better, strangely.  Now a day out, I feel much, much better. I will also be seeing him on the Fourth, two days from now.  Based on how I feel from that we’ll decide to keep up the twice a week or go down to once a week.  This guy I’ve found though is amazing, like he is hitting exactly where I’m feeling the pain.

Oh yeah, I’m still squatting. Yesterday before seeing the PT I went and front squatted 170 five times for three sets.  My ultimate goal is to front squat 315 without pain.  If that happens, not sure how I’ll celebrate but it will be awesome.

Concerning the tear in the back of my shoulder’s labrum, I’m going to see if I can convince the guy to needle my tricep, and just keep lifting.  I am in some discomfort, but for the past two weeks or so it has been really, really tolerable. I would be tempted to try prolotherapy, but it means I would have to give up pressing for like 2 months at least.  I’m still making some good gains on my lifts, and my neck/shoulder is feeling ok, so I’m going to just wait.  Maybe if I start benching 300 and then stop seeing gains I’ll consider prolotherapy, but right now there’s just not enough upside for me to try it right now.  …Although I do have to say, for the record, that there is a big part of me that wants to treat this injury.  I am so damn close to being whole, to no longer having these lingering issues, that it is tempting to give up pressing for two months just to be no longer injured.  Anyways, I’m going to keep lifting.

[UPDATE: I've started prolotherapy for the torn labrum, and am now doing PRP injections as well as continuing to see a PT for dry needling. Here's my Vlog entry:]

No comments: