Sunday, April 21, 2013

Scared to celebrate

Well I have some great news to report.  For the past five days I have not had any hip pain.  Well, I sometimes feel some tightness in my psoas, but I rolled that out and I'm right as rain.  One reason for this could be I saw a highly recommended massage therapist.  He was definitely the best I've seen so far here in the Durham area.  He mostly worked on my back.  The more me and my PT work on my back the more we're finding out that the issues in my back are affecting stuff going on in my hip.  So I decided to direct the massage therapist to my trap/rhomboid/tricep.  He lessened the knots in my back, but nothing was released completely, like what Bobby does.  Sadly, I'm probably not going to be able to find a massage therapist as good as Bobby.  Regardless, the work this guy in Hillsborough did seemed to help quite a bit.

I've been squatting for two weeks now, as well as using the leg press and pistol progressions.  I've decided that before I start squatting anything over 135 pounds I have to be able to pistol squat with either leg.  Before, I could only pistol with my right leg.  I always thought this was odd given my dominant leg is my left leg.  Now, in hindsight, I see that I had no control over my left adductor so I didn't have any stability in my left leg.  So I want to know that I'm able to pistol with either leg.  The pistol progressions are also feeling like great physical therapy.  ...I should also mention that my glutes have been incredibly sore for the past couple of weeks.

So things are going great for the hip.  But to be honest I'm too timid to celebrate yet.  I've experienced some honeymoon phases before, and I'm just afraid that this is the same thing.  I worry that as soon as I start lifting heavy again, I'm going to go back to having hip pain.  I pray that this time it is different, but I'm very, very weary with this.

While all this news with the hip is awesome, now that my mind isn't distracted by any hip pain I'm realizing how uncomfortable I am in my shoulder/trap.  I am using a lacrosse ball like all of the time now, and nothing seems to help release these damnable knots in my back.  I have no idea what is causing them, but they are impossible to release.

I am going to try to convince my PT to start a Graston regimen, maybe twice a week?  I've only had one session and I felt like it was very effective.  I'm going to also ask my PT if we can figure out what the hell is going on in there.  We haven't done any tests for range of motion or anything one my neck and shoulder. So all we know are that there are some incredibly tight muscles back there.

If Mike says no to the Graston idea, then I'm going to see if I can get someone to do this for me with like a butter knife and coconut oil.  It's that bad.  Hopefully I can resolve this issue as well, and in doing so will fix whatever is going on with my hip.

1 comment:

Milady said...

Hello,

I have a question about your blog, could you please email me? Thanks!!

Melanie